25| The Kaycee Effect

Kaycee's POV

"Kaykay, are you decent?" I heard Josh's voice through my room door. Over the past few weeks, Josh has been keeping me company since I never really felt like being out with the girls since there was still tension coming from Nat. I thought it was sweet how he sacrificed his time to just make sure I was okay.

I jumped up from my bed and opened my door then there revealed Josh. "Oh my god, what happened?" I exclaimed. There were bags under his eyes, his hair was almost completely unkempt, and he wasn't his usual happy self.

"I'm fine." Josh reassured, cupping my face. "I'm just mildly sleep deprived." He ran a hand through his hair, his still on his face.

"Do you want to take a nap before we go? You can crash on the couch or my bed- oh I also have a bean bag chair in my garage." I insisted, concerned for him. His laugh filled my room, causing me to furrow my brows. "Thanks, mom." He chuckled sarcastically.

"Shut up!" I joked, taking his hand off my face, walking away. Josh yanked me back into his chest.

"Seriously, I'm fine, Kayc." He said with a dazed smile on his face. I gave him a doubtful look but brushed it off. This wasn't a night to be worried or angry. Tonight's supposed to be fun and carefree as we let our stress melt away.

"If you say so." I said pointedly. I grabbed my black mini backpack, bringing my outfit together. I wore a yellow crop top with black sweatpants and a gold body chain around my stomach. Lastly, I wore black and white Jordan 1's that Kylie got for me for my birthday.

Josh and I left my house side by side after giving a sweet farewell to my parents. They had grown to like Josh the more he came over. Not more than Sean, but they liked him. He got along good with Devon, but Devon being him and protective over me, remained cautious. Kylie was suspicious of him as well despite my continuous reassurance.

We got into the uber, greeting the driver kindly then headed for the fair. The ride was about 15 minutes, which was filled with Josh and I talking about what rides we were going on first and what foods we were excited to try. Although, Josh seemed more tense than usual. Not wanting to kill his vibe, I pushed it to the back of my head.

Once we arrived, we spotted our friends past the opening gate. Most of them were playing around but some were dispersed into their couples. Josh and Tahani were in their own world, Jadyn was off to the side talking to Tre, while everyone else was talking within the friend group.

"Let's have some fun." Josh said in my ear while putting his arm around me, dragging me along with him. I couldn't help but let my eyes settle on Sean. He wore a denim jacket with a white t-shirt underneath then paired it with some light-wash jeans. Looking closer, I saw that he was wearing the shoes I bought him.

I hid the smile that adorned my face, knowing Josh would question it. "Took you guys long enough." Ken grumbled with crossed arms. We ignored him then proceeded with conversation. "Kayc, come with me." Bailey said hurriedly, taking me along with her to the food stand line swiftly.

"What is it?" I questioned. Bailey was fidgeting as her eyes beamed with nervousness. "Kaycee..I think I, um, maybe-- possibly, really like Julian." She mumbled with uncertainty.

"Bailey, that's so cute!" I squealed, shaking her by her shoulders. "No, it's not! Him and Ken are best friends and I don't want to be the person to become between them." She whined with guilt. I felt my stomach drop.

"Imagine yourself in my shoes. You and Sean break up and then one of his best friends sweeps you off your feet and you actually enjoy it! That's weird, but it feels right because it's refreshing and comforting, you know?" Bailey rambled.