3| Panic Room

Kaycee's POV

i walked through the already unlocked door and closed it behind me. i was met with sad eyes that had tears in them. my heart clenched at the sight of seeing him so broken.

"hey." i said softly. he tried to speak but once he opened his mouth, out came a restrained sob. i opened my arms and he wrapped himself in them. i then guided us to his room since he slept on the first floor. once we laid in his bed, he put his head on my chest while i put my hand on his shoulder.

"let it out. it's okay. you're okay." i reassured while rubbing his shoulder. he proceeded to sob for the next 10 minutes before he stopped and just trembled with emotion. he sighed then looked up at me. his cheeks were tear stained so i wiped them away with my sleeves.

"thanks, kaykay." josh smiled softly. he was the only one that called me that and it was only when we were alone. he said it was because i reminded him of a toddler little sister. i didn't get it, but i let it pass.

"no problem, beauchamp. do you want to talk about it?" i asked with concern laced in my voice. josh shook his head and met my gaze only for the third time tonight. when he wiped underneath my eye is when i realized my own were threatening to spill out tears. "why are you crying? don't cry. i don't like when you cry." he asked with a sad yet confused face.

i gave him a sad smile."i just never thought i'd see you like this. i don't like to see you like this. anyway, this is about you, not what i think." i said shaking my head. he hummed in thought then looked at me again. his icy blue eyes weren't filled with life like normal, they were dull and almost bloodshot. "did you tell sean that you were coming over? you swore." he reminds me, his eyes perking up as if he was ready to say something else.

"no, i didn't actually. nice of you to have so much faith in me." i said sarcastically. josh smacked his teeth. "you know that's not what i meant. if i didn't have faith in you, i wouldn't even have called you, kayc." he said softly, his eyes now apologetic.

"why did you call me anyway?" i asked. now that i actually thought about it, why didn't he call anyone else? he could've called nat, she's his girlfriend after all. he also could've called any of the guys, but he didn't. he chose me. josh's eyebrows furrowed as if i asked him a dumb question. "what do you mean, 'why'? i wanted you to be here with me." he shrugged his shoulders.

"but why me? you could've called nat or any of the guys. and you called me. why?" i asked, my hands making gestures as i speak. josh rolled his eyes and scoffed while laying his head on the pillow beside me. "what? i can't call you just because i want my friend around now? i have to have a reason now? does that come with the sean and kaycee contract? well shit, i'm sorry i didn't read the fine print." he sassed.

"no, i'm sorry that i lied for you." i said bitterly, hurt laced in my voice. i stood and grabbed my phone and house keys. josh rushed up and closed the door just as i opened it. "no! you don't get to do that. you don't get to just walk out when i say something slightly hurtful. when things get too much for you, you just walk out!" his voice was raising slightly.

"i guess that's the only thing i'm good at. you know, josh, just because something's fucked up in your life doesn't mean you can take it out on me. that's not how friendships work." i countered back with my voice slightly raised.

"if that's what it is anymore. ever since you've been all infatuated with sean, you don't have time for people who need you." he said bitterly with his jaw clenched. my jaw dropped at his words. how could he be like this?

"it's not like you do. i can't even remember the last time you ran to me with your problems." i said with crossed arms. he scoffed then scratched his head. "you know what? just go." he said opening the door. "go. as usual, you're not here for me. just as you always do. congratulations, you stuck to your roots." he yelled, gesturing out the door. a sharp pang in my chest took place, but i still fought back.