Chapter 17

Valerie banged her scepter once more.

The staff rose, followed by the student body. Dumbledore stood at the podium, his long white beard glinting in the light of a thousand candles.

"As you have noticed, we have a guest with us. Her Majesty, the Queen, has gladly agreed to attend Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry this year. She will start from her Fifth Year. Please all give her a warm welcome," Dumbledore said, his feeble voice magically magnified.

The teachers clapped, joined by the louder applause of the students.

Dumbledore gestured to Valerie. Frances nodded to her, and Valerie magnified her voice too.

Clearing her throat, she gave a soft sigh.

"It is my pleasure to finally be at Hogwarts. I am here to see how the system of education is, as well a the discipline and behavior of the students. I hope I am not disappointed," she spoke, soft and low, drab and deep. "Thank you for the warm welcome. I do hope I find my stay at Hogwarts enjoyable."

She waved her hand, and stopped speaking. She gestured to Frances by holding up her gloved hand. Frances led the procession to the front.

Dumbledore waved to Professor McGonagall, who took the sorting hat in her hands.

"Her Majesty will be sorted first," called Dumbledore. 

Professor McGonagall walked with the hat to Valerie. She cautiously gave the hat to Valerie, who put it aside on the stool. Valerie was left standing. She left her hood on, and placed the scepter in Frances' arms. Slowly, she put on the hat.

And then everything was silent.

A minute passed.

The hat's brim opened wide, as it shouted for the whole hall to hear, "SLYTHERIN!"

The Slytherin table cheered the loudest. Groans were heard from every other table. Gasps were heard from those who hated Slytherin.

Valerie merely smirked.

She pranced over to the Slytherin table, where she sat herself near Draco and Blaise.

Valerie had a sudden urge to look at the Gryffindor table. 

There, she spotted Harry, talking to Ron and Hermione. Her eyes fixated on Harry, she saw them softly whispering before Hermione nudged Harry and signaled to Valerie. Harry looked at Valerie once then looked away, refusing to meet her eyes.

He was upset, and boy, did Valerie know it.

Dumbledore smiled, his half-moon spectacles slightly magnifying his piercing blue eyes. "Congratulations, Your Highness, I have no doubt that Slytherin has gained a young and powerful, mighty witch."

Valerie scowled at him under her hood. She didn't want any attention to herself.

Dumbledore clapped his hands together. "Let the feast commence," he announced, and the food magically filled the empty tables.

Valerie wasn't hungry, so she didn't eat. Draco tried to trick her into eating.

"Do you honestly thing I'm that naïve?" she scoffed.