Chapter 18

The next morning left Valerie fresh and well-rested.

Last night, she had a meeting with Dumbledore, and she had returned to her personal quarters an hour past the fifth-year curfew. She awoke in the morning at seven, and she was awaiting her breakfast, which was to be brought by the Hogwarts house elves.

Meanwhile, she was getting dressed and unpacking at the same time.

She was extremely pleased with the living quarters she had received. Dumbledore had arranged for her to have a full tower to herself, and she had a large fully-carpeted bedroom with double floors, and a spiral staircase at the end of the room near the massive fireplace. 

Helen, her maid got the room below, and on either side of her, her two guards and Frances resided. Of course it wasn't as comfortable as the castle, but it did the job and that was all that mattered.

She did not want to wear the uniform, nor did she feel obligated to. She found it too revealing and fitting to be worn at school, in the presence of random people who she never knew. Instead, she put on her classic robes, except in a deep emerald green rather than black, to show her house pride.

She had written to her father to tell him of her sorting, and was waiting for his response. She knew, that he would no doubt be proud of her.

Over her green robes, she put on her black cloak, and her crown with her hair in a simple updo.

Then she awaited her breakfast, and sat on the long table in the space next to her bedroom.

There was a knock on the door, at exactly seven thirty.

"Come in," ordered Valerie.

A short house elf came in, wearing a filthy pillowcase, reeking of the smell of the kitchen. He carried a large tray that was nearly twice his size, and presented it to Valerie, who took it without another word.

"Put out the fire," she demanded, and the house elf dizzily tottered over to the emerald flames, snapping his fingers and extinguishing the dancing flames.

Valerie scanned the tray. Pastries, fruits, toast and an omelet. 

Something was missing.

"Is there anything Berny can do for Your Majesty?" he squeaked out.

"Where is my juice?" she asked, looking at him right in the eye.

"J-Juice, Miss?" he asked.

"Every morning I have a full glass of raspberry juice. Didn't anyone tell you this?" she asked, her voice threatening and dangerous.

"N-no, Miss. I is going to get it now, Your Highness," he rasped, then snapped his fingers and disappeared from the room.

Valerie began her breakfast, enjoying the delicacies she alone had the privilege of enjoying. The elf apparated into her room, bringing a large glass of raspberry juice.

Valerie looked at it with disgust.

"As much as I enjoy eating these raspberries, the juice of the red raspberry is nowhere such as fine as the juice of the golden raspberry," she drawled. "Bring me the juice made from golden raspberries, not red raspberries, you imbecile," she thundered.

The elf didn't need telling twice. Profusely apologizing, he disappeared and brought her a glass of golden juice.

Valerie drank it, then sighed.

Although she didn't show it, she was somewhat excited about attending Hogwarts. No matter how much she preferred to be within the walls of Pendragon castle, there was still something special about a school of magic, and Valerie liked this feeling.

She had never been around so many people of her age before, and however annoying the prospect was of being around people, she was looking forward to seeing how all of this would turn out to be.

There was just one thing that ruined it all.

Dolores Umbridge.