Chapter 31

It was big news to the rest of Hogwarts that The Queen played truth or dare with the Slytherins. From what the Hogwarts student body knew, Valerie was mostly always in her own tower, responding to letters and doing queenly stuff. Naturally, it was a big surprise to those who heard that she'd played truth or dare.

Hence the constant questions.

"For God's sake, yes, I'm still fifteen, I'm not an adult!" she scowled, turning around to face yet another third year who asked her if the rumors are true.

"S-sorry your Majesty!" squeaked the third year, turning pink as people stared at her, who were snickering at the fact that she faced the wrath of the queen.

The raven haired girl suppressed her smirk, arrogantly squaring her shoulders. Although her expression was one that portrayed anger and annoyance, she was rather amused at the fact that people were so terrified of her and thought of her as an evil queen, or someone who put duty over everything.

True, Valerie would sacrifice herself for her country, but she was still a child; and one game of truth or dare wouldn't harm anyone if it was played once in a while. A part of her congratulated herself for succeeding in her goal; of making every single being at Hogwarts fear her.

A posse of Slytherins followed her, thinking that because they shared the common house of Salazar Slytherin, they would be able to get information out of her, but instead, she barked orders at them to carry her books around (which she purposefully emptied an entire shelf at the Hogwarts library), until they were so tired that they abandoned their goal, causing Valerie to inwardly burst into hysterics.

Indeed, it was far better to be feared than to be loved.

Love didn't exist, her father didn't love her mother; he was merely obsessed with her for her power, and now, that she was born, her father had her; the Queen of England, both muggle and wizard, and the daughter of the Dark Lord.

Of course, he thought her young, and naïve at the mere age of fifteen, assuming he could walk all over her and whisper things in her ear to make her do his bidding, or give him a share of her power.

It was rather unfortunate, how the whole Pendragon line was deceased, save for herself; they all died of spattergroit, was what she was told; they all got it from her mother.

Valerie had locked herself in the castle after that, in fear that due to her young age, someone might take advantage of her. She trusted no one, save Francis, and found her mother's old diaries in the Pendragon castle library. She discovered her mother was naïve, and susceptible to any sort of outside influences, with a weak personality and a soft heart. A good queen, but not a strong one.

She asked Francis to educate her in politics, and in the matters of looking after a country, and all he did was teach her how to play chess. That made everything clear, and by the age of thirteen, she became a Queen feared by those who faced her disappointment, and those who heard rumors about her.

She suddenly improved England's worth, and economy, that all of the world could see her efforts. It was impossible for them to believe that a thirteen year old was ruling.

Part of her knew she was headed in the right direction, but part of her mourned, for she was losing herself in the process, locking up her childhood and tossing away the key.

According to Francis, it was the most unselfish act he'd ever witnessed. She was so young, and had such pure intention, and she was so strong, all by herself, it seemed.

But he knew. He knew the child that was locked up inside her, and he knew that she feared she would be a bad queen. She loved her country more than anything else, and she strived to protect it.

But she didn't protect herself.

The moment she heard her mother had died of spattergroit, from Albus Dumbledore, at the age of eleven, she knew there was more to the truth than what she had been told.

Because Valerie wasn't foolish, and she wasn't fooled. Spattergroit wasn't airborne, according to what she'd studied in the numerous doctoral books in the castle library. Yes, it was contagious, but it wasn't as deadly as the plague, or as dragonpox, which was airborne. Spattergroit wouldn't spread just by sharing the same air, rather, it would only be contagious if one would go too close to the victim. And at the young age of her mother, it was impossible for her not to survive.

No, she knew there was more to it than what met the eye.

Her mother was murdered, and so was the rest of her family.

How did she know? The math was all too simple. Spattergroit was just a cover to what really happened. The disease was caused by a fungus; and, in the early stages, was treatable. Two signs pointed this information false. The first being that the Pendragon castle was spotless, and disinfected every single moment, owing to the hundreds of maids and cleaners, refusing even a single spore of fungus to grow. Secondly, the Pendragon family were royalty. Any sort of illness to any family member, and all their riches, gold and money would be spent on nursing the ill person and restoring them back to health. The first sign of Spattergroit, and it would be cured.

It was obvious who was behind this.

Lord-fucking-Voldemort.

From the day she discovered her mother was murdered by her father, Valerie knew she could trust no one, especially her father.

You are no father of mine, she longed to say.

But she couldn't, for she had to be patient, just for a little while longer.

No, she'd sworn to bring him down from the inside. Get him to rely on her, trust her, then ruin him slowly from within, the way he ruined her mother, and the rest of her family. And when she was done, she'd triumph over his death and rule, being the great Queen she was always destined to be.

Yes, she would get her vengeance, and she knew, boy, would it be sweet.

A/N:

yes, i updated after months and months. you're welcome?

no, i haven't forgotten this story; i've just been juggling work, university and my social life (which is non existent)

anyway; feel free to spam this chapter with comments, and vote please.

don't forget to share.

your comments are my motivation :')

bye; and take care

riven.