Chapter 21

Valerie stood up thunderously, banging her scepter with brutal force, hard enough to produce sparks.

"What did you say?" she growled, taking a stealthy step towards the stubby woman dressed clad in pink.

Umbridge didn't falter under Valerie's intense gaze, nor did she make any move to apologize.

Instead, she stepped closer to the queen, attempting to look tall and intimidating, no doubt due to the fact that she let the power of being a professor get into her head.

"I said you need to raise your ha..."

"I HEARD WHAT YOU SAID!" Valerie spat, banging her hand on the teacher's table.

Umbridge cowered slightly, whimpering.

Valerie took another step closer to Umbridge, circling her slightly, prowling around her like a cat to its prey.

Without warning, Valerie clamped a hold on Umbridge's collar, pulling her closer.

"Listen, you ministry hag," she snarled, "I do not care how old you are, or how far up you suck up to the minister, but I can see right through you. You'd better watch your tongue around me, understood, because next time, you'll really regret it. I mean it," she hissed. 

"Consider this a warning, Dolores, we all know I'm capable of much more, and believe me, the audience will only make it more entertaining."

Umbridge nodded her head, fear evident in her widened eyes.

At this, Valerie let go of her, throwing her to the side.

"Oh, and do change that cardigan," she purred. "You smell."

With that, she walked back to her seat.

The class had watched with bated breath, fright evident on their expressions. That was the only reason why Valerie had given Umbridge a mild punishment; she couldn't afford to be made out as a violent queen, and her reputation mattered immensely.

Thus, she waited for Umbridge to regain her composure before giving her the signal to continue teaching, or rather, treating a class of teenagers like a bunch of five year-olds.

It was then, that Valerie noticed that Parvati Patil had her hand up.

"Yes, Miss Patil," Umbridge spoke in a small voice, her throat still slightly sore.

"We'll be doing countercurses, without ever practicing them before?" Parvati spoke incredulously. "Are you telling us that the first time we'll get to do the spells will be during our exam?"

Valerie snickered to herself.

Pretty much, she thought. Unless you haven't got the gist of it yet...

"I repeat, as long as you have studied the theory hard enough —"

"And what good's theory going to be in the real world?" said Harry loudly, his fist in the air again.

Valerie's gaze locked with Harry's both knowing what he was talking about. Again, Valerie's brand began prickling, and her omen begged to be released.