I Am Straight Up Not Having A Good Time

"You know, you could at least try to respond when I text you." Rin told her twin, who was sitting at the table waiting for breakfast. It was a rare morning where Yukio wasn't already at the school or the Cram School before Rin even woke up. "I need to know whether you're eating at home or not so I know how much to make. Our friends probably think you're abandoning me to eat by myself every night because of how often I share what I made at dinner time." She groused.

"Sorry Mom." Yukio apologized sarcastically. Rin served him the eggs and bacon she'd finished onto his plate, flicking him on the forehead.

"Keep that attitude up with me and we'll see just how much you really want a mom, because I'll ground you like one." She threatened.

"I'm busy most of the time Rin, you can't ground me." Yukio said.

"Yeah well, I'd like a mom too, y'know. And it would be great if you could ever find time for me." She grumbled. For whatever reason, Yukio's superiors kept him super busy and Rin was one more dinner alone away from busting into Mephisto's office and demanding to know why the fuck they were working a student into the ground like this.

"I've been stuck in a constant loop of tending to the consultation counter and going on missions. Lately, there's been an abnormal amount of people asking for advice from the Order." Yukio explained.

"Do you think that has anything to do with the Seven Mysteries? Or that thing Mephisto mentioned?" Rin wondered. Both of them knew about the Artificial Gehenna Gate, but Yukio wasn't able to say anything specific about it because it was classified and Rin had been trusted with the sensitive information via Mephisto.

"Possibly. They're looking into both as we speak."

"So that means there are a lot of people like Godaiin. The assignment will be finished once we solve the Mysteries, right?"

"That's what I was told."

"Mephisto better not have been lying about those eye drops. I will not hesitate to overtake his mansion and chuck him out a window."

"Rin, he's a Demon King, you couldn't lay a finger on him." Yukio said bluntly.

"Watch me."

Yukio sighed and got up from the table, having finished this food. "I've got something I need to take care of before school. See you later, Rin." He grabbed his briefcase and left the dorm, leaving Rin to eat by herself once again.

§~•~§~•~§

"I wonder if Rin, Moriyama, and Kamiki will be okay on today's mission." Shima mentioned.

"They'll be fine." Suguro decided.

"Am I supposed to feel insulted or complimented?" Rin snorted, sitting down with them at the table they always say at for lunch. "Also, this is Godaiin, guys." She waved a hand to present her new friend, who gave an awkward wave.

Suguro nodded in recognition. Konekomeru and Shima greeted the boy properly.

"If you're going to use the girls as bait, I don't doubt Rin could scare the shit out of whatever demon you're up against." He added to the conversation helpfully.

Rin grinned, cheeks tinting pink. "Aw, quit it!"

Suguro raised an eyebrow. "He knows?"

"Unfortunately, yeah." Godaiin sighed. "Rin pulled me aside after class a few days ago and made sure I knew I wasn't just going nuts–I started seeing demons over break. If any of the demons are bothering me in class, she usually glares at them and they scram like a bat out of hell."