No Time To Die

Some spores caught Rin by the hair as she and Suguro ran up the mountain. She yelped as she was yanked back and growled. Without thinking, blue flames flared to life in her hand and she reached back, burning a section of hair away so she could pull free. Her hair was now about only shoulder length and she frowned.

She'd always kept it long because Shiro said she looked like her mom with it long. It was the only thing Rin had of her mother–her looks. Rin knew she'd needed to get away from the spores, but it still hurt a little to let go of what felt like a piece of her long-dead mother who she'd never gotten to know.

Suguro saw the look on her face and remembered what she'd said about looking like her mother once before in Cram School.

"It'll grow back." He assured her sympathetically. She sighed and nodded and they kept running.

It would have been easier to summon Rodan and have him burn away all the spores around them, but she didn't have much energy and she was saving the power she needed to summon him for a last stand if she didn't have enough power to take down the Impure King.

They came across Kuro in the underbrush.

“Kuro!” Where the hell had the cat sith been this whole time?! Rin hadn't seen him since he'd ditched her after getting his own piece of watermelon a couple days ago!

Rin, run away! Kuro insisted, standing on his back legs and gesturing to the Impure King with his front paws. This mountain is possessed by that demon! It’s dangerous!

“Yeah, I know it’s dangerous, I'm gonna go fight it. We’re gonna climb to the top of the mountain and take this thing down.”

Why don't you ever turn away and just save yourself?! Just like Shiro, always running headfirst into bad things! Just like kittens, you never listen!  Kuro complained. Rin laughed at the comparison.

"Someone's gotta do it, Kuro. I wanna save everyone." She told him.

Ugh, you're an idiot! Kuro then proceeded to grow to the size of a dump truck. Get on, I'll take you to the top!

Rin and Suguro mounted the cat demon and they were off, flying through the air above the mountain. Rin sat in front, holding onto Kuro's fur with Suguro hiding onto her waist. It could've been romantic if it wasn't for the gross spores popping up everywhere trying to kill them and covering the mountain.

Rin laughed hysterically as Kuro flew through the air toward the sporangium of the Impure King. Despite the situation, the wind blowing her short hair out of her face felt nice and it was such a nice feeling of freedom after being stuck in that cell for a while.

“It’s turning into buildings!” Rin noticed, watching the spores form solid-looking buildings.

"If we don’t get there soon, there won't be anywhere to land! We have to hurry!” Suguro said in her ear so she could hear him over the wind and she shivered when his warm breath hit her sensitive ear.

Rin's stomach growled and she could feel the judgment from Suguro. "I haven't eaten since yesterday morning and it looks like a giant meat bun, okay?" She said defensively.

She looked out over the mountain, half-covered in spores and goop. "I'm kinda surprised I can't see Kyoto Tower from here. I wanna go there sometime." She admitted absently.

"Seriously? That tourist spot of all places. There are so many places to go in Kyoto!" Suguro reminded.

"It's tall and it's cool!" Rin defended.

"I'm a resident of Kyoto and I've never been there. It's just a tower, Rin!"

"Well then we'll go there together sometime!" That shut the boy up and Rin grinned at her victory.