The Classic "Going As Friends"

I'm surprised no one has stopped me with these Chapter titles, but I don't mind either lol. Enjoy the chapter.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

The days got colder as Autumn swept its way through Japan. The cold weather uniforms came out and so did scarves, gloves, and boots.

Rin had been doing pretty good in classes with the help of the study groups the Cram Group always had, plus Paku and Godaiin and sometimes even Yukio if he had the time.

Rin was proud of her achievements. She didn't have perfect scores like Suguro, but she had passing grades and that was all she wanted.

As for her relationship with her friends and Yukio, things had gotten a bit tense for a short while after that Portrait demon attacked her. But they all showed her that they really did care about her through their actions, so she knew the demon was full of crap.

It was Shiro she had an issue with. He slept peacefully, healing slowly in his medically induced coma while Rin stewed in her own bitter thoughts of the man who was supposed to raise her, to love her like a father should have.

But all he'd done was leave her alone and neglect her while he taught her twin how to kill demons and basically destroyed Yukio's happy childhood and sweet personality.

Why? Why had he done that? Why was it so hard to raise children? If he'd had parenting books and maybe tips from other parents, he could've done it! He could have raised them decently! Maybe Rin and Yukio would feel less like unwanted failures and more like they had a father who didn't care whether they were good enough for the world or not.

But for now, Rin could let the School Festival distract her from her issues that she never voiced.

"It's been decided that 1-D will be in charge of light meals. Please write down what light meal you'd like to make." The class rep told them. Sheets of paper were passed out to the class.

"That's easy! I can whip up these kinds of things in minutes!" Rin scoffed.

"Really?" Godaiin asked. Rin nodded.

"Cooking is a specialty of mine. Not just housewife shit, it's the real deal. Or so I've been told." She affirmed. Her cooking was one of the few things she could have pride in.

"Awesome! So what do you think about Onigiri and Tonjiru?" Godaiin wondered.

"I think it sounds perfect to walk around eating them at a festival. Anyone else have suggestions?" Rin wondered to the rest of the class. In the end, it was settled on Godaiin's idea of Onigiri and Tonjiru.

"I'm glad they liked my idea for the food." Godaiin said as they walked to lunch together. "I'm kinda bummed about the dance party though."

"There's a dance party?" Rin wondered. She hadn't heard that part before. She was a local, so she'd always wanted to participate in the True Cross Festival, but they never had enough money to actually buy anything, including ride tickets, so they'd never bothered to go. Rin had never heard of a Dance Party during the festival, though.

"On the second night of the festival, at Mephy Land, there's gonna be a student-only music festival. Ah, here, look." He pulled a poster down from a bulletin in the hallway. There were all kinds of bands coming to play at the Festival, wow!

"But, as a rule, you have to be a couple to enter the dance party." Godaiin said. "And I don't really know any girls besides you and most of the guys in this school are straighter than an arrow." He sighed regretfully.

Rin smiled. "Are there any boys you wanna go with currently? Sometimes people will surprise you with what they're open to. Everyone has to play pretend until someone else comes along and shows them they don't need to." She said, not pointing out Godaiin's smooth coming out to her like he'd just done.