Chapter 23: The Mountains

Under normal circumstances, Aelin would be very uncomfortable being carried like this by someone she didn't know. But the Shadowsinger was so polite and quiet she didn't feel all that awkward. 

In all honesty, if this were normal circumstances, Aelin would have refused flying at all. But Rhysand had said that the location was warded against winnowing, and he didn't want to risk her being tracked again. Which made sense. But Aelin found herself wishing that she'd inherited some shape-shifting from Feyre so that maybe she could try her own hand at flying. 

She glanced down at the snow-covered mountaintops streaking by them. Then again, maybe not. 

"We're almost there," Azriel said as he veered to his left, wings flapping against the harsh mountain wind. 

Aelin squinted, trying to see through the blur of white light reflecting off the snow. "And you're sure they can't trace me here?" 

"Sure as we can be in this situation." Azriel suddenly swooped downwards, which made Aelin yelp a loud curse and grab onto his neck. 

"Don't do that," She hissed. The Shadowsinger chuckled softly as he leveled off, shifting slightly so as to land. Aelin glanced over his shoulder and saw Feyre, Rhys, and Rowan, who was in his hawk form, following closely behind them. Aelin turned forward again just as Azriel passed between two fangs of the tallest mountain. The wind abruptly calmed, and Aelin blew some hair out of her face to look down at their destination. 

"A cabin?" She wondered aloud. 

"It's warded. No one can get in without my permission," Rhys called to her from her right.

"You said the same of Velaris," Aelin muttered, then regretted it. When she looked at Rhys again, he had a thoughtful expression on his face. 

"I did. But this is different. Velaris became known after the war. No one but my court knows this place exists." Seeming to have said his piece, he swooped for the ground. Azriel followed, moving too quickly for Aelin's comfort. This time she managed to keep the cursing to a minimum. 

The second they landed, Aelin shoved out of the Shadowsinger's arms. "Yeah, we're not doing that again." 

Azriel gave her a rare smile. Her jaw dropped. "You prick, you did that on purpose!" 

"It's hardly my fault if you've never flown with an Illyrian before," Azriel said, breezing by her to join his High Lord and Lady. Rowan shifted back to his Fae form next to Feyre. 

"Gods above, it's cold," He groused as Aelin joined them all. "And I thought the White Fangs were bad." 

"Aw, Buzzard, your feathers a little chilly?" Aelin teased, looping her hand through his arm. She looked over at Feyre. "He's not wrong, though." 

Feyre rolled her eyes and trekked forward through the snow to the door of the cabin. She waved her hand, and the lock clicked open. The door swung inward, and blessedly warm air washed over them all as they entered. 

Feyre waved her hand once more, and the room flared with faelight and fire as the fireplace sprang to life. "There should be some food in the cupboards. The house is enchanted," she said, walking over to the large couch at the center of the main room and sitting down. "So it'll respond to your commands." 

"Thank you," Aelin said, looking around. There was a small kitchen to her left, a sitting room to her right, and a hallway leading to back rooms in front of her. Aelin glanced at the walls, noting the paint covering every surface. She liked the crackling flames on the table best, but the silver eye on the wall intrigued her. "Did you make these?" 

Feyre smiled slightly. "Yes. But that-" She pointed to a storeroom door off to the side, which had some crudely painted stick figures drawn on the wall next to it. "Was all Mor's doing." 

Aelin laughed, but it felt forced. She knew Rhys and Feyre needed to get back to their court, to prepare for the coming battle. And yes, this had been her plan... but now that she was here, she wanted nothing more than to go back to Velaris. 

"We'll come to check on you in a few days. If something goes wrong, I promise we'll let you know, alright?" Feyre said, standing back up and dusting off her pants. 

"Alright. Stay safe, Feyre," Aelin said, turning away to walk toward the back rooms. She heard whispering behind her, and then Feyre was by her side.

"We aren't going to let this happen," Feyre told her, squeezing her hand. "We've already got the priestesses at the library looking for anything we can find on the Cauldron. Lucky for you, we still have it all mostly together from the war."

"Lovely." Aelin sighed as they entered one of the bedrooms. She plopped into the chair sitting by the door, propping her chin in her hand. "I'm sorry. If I'd just listened to my head for once-" 

"Aelin, it's not your fault. I know what Mor said, but any one of us would have done the same in that situation," Feyre said, sitting on the bed across from her. 

Aelin was quiet for a moment. She didn't want to think about any of it. But she couldn't shut her mouth, no matter that she knew what came out wouldn't be pretty. "Do you really think she can do it? Make me tear apart two worlds?" 

Feyre looked towards the bedside table, where a single, lonely paintbrush sat, dried blue paint covering the brustles. "Deanna certainly seems to think so."

"I know what that bitch thinks," Aelin grumbled, looking down at her feet. "I want to know what you think." 

Feyre didn't answer for a moment. "No, I don't." 

"Why?" 

"After everything you've endured..." Feyre hesitated, and Aelin could see her mind turning. "After everything you've survived, I can't see you bowing to some old goddess like that. No matter how powerful she may be, you're stronger than her." Feyre laid a hand over Aelin's. "And you've never been afraid of her." 

"I am Aelin Ashryver Whitethorn Galathynius, and I will not be afraid," Aelin muttered. For a moment she wasn't sure Feyre had heard her. But when she looked up, Feyre was smiling. 

"Damn right, Majesty." 

Golden Aelin cosplay by Courts.collection!!

DID YA'LL HEAR THAT TOM FELTON AUDITIONED FOR NIKOLAI FOR SHADOW AND BONE SEASON 2??? 

CAN WE JUST TALK ABOUT THAT FOR A SECOND HERE???

Ok I'll admit it's not PERFECT casting, but it'd be pretty great!! I'd be pretty happy if he got the part! Plus, think of the fanbase it'd bring. We'd get Season 3 for sure!! Just slap a wig with the right color hair on the man and we're set 👍