Chapter 36: The Forge

"What's going to happen to you?" I dared to ask. Aelin smiled at me, but her expression was sad.

"The same thing that should have happened before," She said. "Re-forging the Lock will take my life. There isn't anyone to help me this time." 

"Oh, yes there is," Mor growled, stepping forward and pushing me out of the way. She knocked Goldryn out of Aelin's hand and grabbed her fingers, holding tight. "Take some of my power. Take as much as you need." 

"Take mine as well. Mother knows you used it well," Rhys said from beside me, taking his cousin's hand. I clenched his hand tighter. 

"Mine too. Some of it belongs to you, anyway," I told her. Aelin smiled at all of us. 

"I am unbearably lucky to have met you all," She said. She reached out and took my hand, squeezing tight. "Especially you, Feyre Archeron." She let go, then shook her hand out of Mor's grasp, stepping back. "But this is my task, and mine alone." 

Before any of us could react, she threw out a hand, and a wall of fire erupted between us. Rowan yelled and darted forward, reaching straight through it to grab her. "AELIN, DON'T YOU DARE!!" 

He hit a shield before he could touch her. He beat at it, his face contorted in fear. "AELIN!! YOU PROMISED ME!!" 

 I watched, paralyzed, as Aelin kneeled to the ground and began tracing Wyrdmarks in the dirt. She seemed to know them all by heart. She stood up just as they began glowing. 

That's when it really hit me. Aelin was going to kill herself. And she'd known. She'd known exactly what I was asking of her, even if I hadn't. And she hadn't even hesitated. 

I lurched forward, reaching through the fire for her. It didn't even hurt me. My palm hit the shield, stopping me short. "Aelin, this isn't what I wanted!" 

"Don't blame yourself, Feyre," She called over her shoulder as her eyes began to glow. "Because I don't blame you. Make sure Rowan gets home for me, will you?" 

"NO! Wait, you don't-" I growled and slammed my hand into her shield. "Damn it, Aelin!" 

I glanced down at where my hand had hit the shield and froze. Cobwebbed cracks branched from my fist. My fingertips were covered with hoarfrost and ashes, as if I'd combined my Autumn and Winter powers without meaning to. 

I splayed my hand out on the shield, calling my fire and frost to my hand. Instantly, the crackle of ice spread across the shield. I look up and saw Rowan was watching my hand closely. He placed his hand next to mine just as Aelin's eyes closed, her features turning serene. 

The shield cracked loudly, but she didn't even react. Just when I wondered if maybe we'd make it in time, the shield collapsed, the wall of fire going with it. Rowan stumbled forward, reaching for Aelin's hand. 

"We have to help her." He said as he grabbed her hand. He drew a knife that was strapped to her leg, sliced open his palm, then hers, and locked their fingers together. He shuddered, and I watched as his own eyes began to glow. He offered the knife to me, his features pleading. "Please. You have to help her. She'll die." 

I started to reach for the knife, but someone beat me to it. 

Rhys ran the blade over his hand, cutting open his palm in one swift movement. He winced at the pain, but offered the blade to me, handle-first. He smiled at me before walking forward and taking Aelin's other hand. He waved his uninjured hand, slicing open her skin with little effort. Then he closed his hand around hers. 

I stood there, open-mouthed, watching as his eyes started to gleam. He offered me one small smile. 

"This will make us even," He said to me. Then he closed his eyes, falling still as he joined Aelin and Rowan wherever they were. 

I looked down at the bloody knife still clutched in my hand. My thoughts seemed to calm as I made up my mind. I switched the blade to my left hand, then carved a line down the center of my right palm. I walked over to Rhys and did the same to his hand. I looked back and saw Mor, Amren, and Azriel watching me closely. 

Mor walked forward and took the knife from me, then began unfastening the glove of her armor. "I'll see you in a minute, Feyre." 

Behind her, Azriel drew Truth-Teller. Amren sighed and reached for Varian's belt, stealing one of his daggers. 

"I suppose we owe the queen this much," She said, coming to stand beside Mor. She nodded slightly to me, and I nodded back before turning back to Rhys and taking his hand in mine. 

Instantly, I sucked in a gulp of air. Power and heat raced through my veins, an essence that was so starkly Aelin I knew we weren't yet too late. 

When I opened my eyes again, the Lock stood before me. 

Gorgeous Archeron sisters cosplay by princesskaceyemaline, princessroyalcourt, and emma_arlyn!!

Ok so the original forging of the Lock has always annoyed me. I HATE the "She loses most of her power but keeps just a fraction of it" trope. And SJM has used it TWICE!! First with Aelin, then with Nesta. Just commit!! Either let her keep it all, or give it all. I despise that half-assed feeling of the heroine keeping just a little bit of magic. Especially if they'd only just gotten it. Nesta was robbed. We never got to see all of that uber-powerful death magic we were promised. 

(Also, yes, I am aware its technically only supposed to be the descendants of Mala who can make the Lock. But that doesn't mean other people can't help. At least in my opinion. Indulge me!!)