Chapter 12: The Door

Rhys was looking much better, though I still had no idea what had been hit to hurt him that badly. I'd panicked initially because I thought it might have hit his heart, but with our bond and our bargain, I would've been able to feel if he was close to death. 

I still hadn't quite forgiven Aelin's court. I knew my anger was misplaced,  and it wasn't the Lady of Perranth's fault that she'd given an order to protect her home. I would do the same in her position. But that still didn't make it alright. 

Besides, they were all rather annoying. Lysandra, Elide, and Ren were alright, but the others ticked me off in varying degrees. Lorcan wouldn't stop scowling at us, despite knowing who we were now. Fenrys kept interrupting as we explained the basic plan to Rowan, and Aedion seemed to think it was all some kind of joke. I don't know if I was just reading him wrong, but something in his tone and stance pissed me off. Actually, he reminded me of Cassian a bit.  

"I agree that we can't just go charging in blind again," Rowan said, his tone measured. I could tell he was itching to get to Aelin. He didn't care about the details, he just wanted her back. But if we went in without a plan, we could put her in more danger. We didn't even know if she was in danger, which was a problem. We didn't know anything except where we'd left her. 

"But," He said, and I was pulled out of my thoughts. "I think this would be better planned in Prythian. Don't you?" His fingers twitched slightly as they clenched around Goldryn's hilt. 

He needed to be moving, doing something. He needed to feel as if we were getting somewhere. And to be honest, I was just as antsy. 

"Alright. You said you'd tried opening Wyrdgates?" He nodded shortly. "Where?" 

----------------------------

I felt like throwing up. The courtyard was so stained with dried blood, I couldn't tell what was dirt and what was the thick red liquid. 

"How many times did you try?" I whispered, choking on my own words. Rhys's arm was tight around my shoulders, sensing my discomfort. It probably would've helped more if he wasn't blocked by that gods-damned shield. 

"Five, I think," The dark-haired Lady of Perranth said. "And he would've kept going if we hadn't stopped him." 

Rowan scowled, stomping forward and pulling out his knife. "Six, now." 

"Oh, no you don't." Elide stepped forward and grabbed the hand holding the knife. I started slightly at her quick movements. For someone impaired with an injured leg, Elide was rather spry. 

And brave, considering the look of utter fury Rowan was giving her. Lorcan stepped forward, equally angry, but Elide just pried the knife out of Rowan's hand and pushed him away again. To my surprise, he actually staggered away from her. 

Elide raised an eyebrow. "See my point? Rowan, you're about to drop. There's no way you're carving yourself up even more to get to Prythian." 

Rowan balled his fists, and for a moment I thought he'd hit her. I stepped forward the same moment Lorcan did, who apparently thought the same thing as me. 

But Rowan just sighed through his nose and stepped back. Elide smiled slightly and turned to me and Rhys. 

"Can one of you do it?" She asked, holding out the knife. Rhys reached for it, but I snatched it from her hand before he could. 

"I'll do it," I said, sidestepping both Elide and Rhys when he scowled at me. "You were just shot," I reminded him. "You don't need to lose any more blood." 

I edged around Rowan's blood still drying on the ground and kneeled on a clean block of tan stone. I removed my vambrace again and wiggled my arm around until the wound re-opened, then smeared my fingertips over the cut. I quickly traced out the symbols, falling into a familiar rhythm as I worked. Wyrdmarks came easier to me now, after so much practice with Aelin. 

Aelin... Cauldron, I hoped she was okay. 

I finished the second-to-last mark and swiped some stray hair out of my face. "Alright," I turned to look back at Rowan and his court. "Ready?" 

Aelin's cousin Aedion crossed his arms. "Bring her home." His gaze slid to me. "All of you." 

Evangeline, who stood between Lysandra and Aedion, smiled widely at me. I smiled back. Then I turned back and completed the Wyrdgate. 

For one terrible moment, nothing happened. I stood up and stepped backward, stopping between Rowan and Rhys. 

Rowan growled. "Shit-" 

The portal snapped into existence, and everyone in the courtyard jumped when it fizzled and sparked. 

"I think something's trying to stop it," I said, taking both Rhys and Rowan's hands. "Come on! Before it closes!!" 

I darted forward, pulling them both with me. Only one thing was on my mind. 

Take us to Velaris. Take us to Prythian. 

STUNNING Feyre cosplay by brirose_arts!!

Cursebreaker and Fireheart recently passed 16k and I didn't even notice?? I'm literally blown away thank ya'll so much for reading it and all ur sweet comments and votes!! They truly do make my day, I love talking to people who love the same magical worlds I do and understand all my references 😂