Chapter 20: The Mind of The Goddess

I could tell the moment Aelin shattered the shield.

I was mildly impressed by how quickly she picked up the workings of daemati magic. She didn't require very much coaching, just a nudge or two in the right direction. She certainly caught on quicker than I had, tuning out the voices in her head and focusing on only one. 

The golden barrier exploded, shards flying in every direction. And then we were in Mala's head, swimming through her memories. While we had no real physical bodies here, I stayed as close to Aelin as I could, making sure to keep the way out open. 

"What exactly are we looking for?" Aelin asked me as we watched pieces of Mala's life shoot by. There was so much here. I caught glimpses of a man with red-gold hair and fire in the palm of his hand, a dark-haired man holding a silvery-gold sword with an eye set on the pommel, and a woman with silver hair who seemed to glow with ethereal light. 

"I don't know. Look for something with Deanna?" I said, trying to sort through the images. But it was like Mala was purposely trying to hide whatever it was Deanna had told her. 

Aelin suddenly cried out. I looked to my right, where I could tell she was, and nearly screamed. Aelin stood there, somehow inside Mala's mind. She was staring to her right, reaching out with one hand. Thick, starry smoke poured from her finger, snaking towards the ground and clearing a path through the memories. 

"Look!" She told me, pointing after the smoke. I followed her finger, but couldn't see anything other than the golden walls of Mala's mind, and the black wispy snake slithering through them. 

"What do you see?" I asked, coming closer. 

"Deanna, so many memories of Deanna, hidden beneath nonsense," Aelin said, her voice turning slightly mystified. She took a step forward, and under her feet, a gold bridge appeared, following in her footsteps. She began to follow the smoke into the light, her hand still outstretched. 

I took a step after her, but to my surprise, I was hit with a barrier of hardened air. I reached out my adamant claws, trying to shred through it, but nothing happened. "Aelin, wait!" 

She didn't stop. As she walked further away, the golden bridge began to disappear at her heels. She didn't seem to notice. A strange hum filled the air, coming from that golden light. 

"Aelin, stop!!" I yelled, summoning all my strength and crashing against the shield. It didn't even budge, and Aelin didn't seem to hear me. An odd look had come over her face, something almost... peaceful. 

She halted at the edge of that strange light, her fingers reaching for it. Dread sluiced through my stomach, cold and sleek. I didn't want to find out what was calling her. "AELIN!!" 

She pressed her palm against the wall, and the smoke panned out to squeeze between her fingers. The light parted, and Aelin stepped inside, her lithe body slipping easily into the gap.

And then she was gone. 

ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS Starfall Feyre by Starbitcreations of Starfall Court!!!

Ok SUPER short chapter, I know. Sorry!! I just needed this little bit to be from Feyre's POV, and it was too long to just add onto the end of one of Aelin's chapters. Soooo short chapter!