Chapter 39: The Heart

It had come to Aelin's attention that she'd never actually seen many of Feyre's paintings. Sure, she'd seen the cabin, and a few in Feyre's house, but nothing really spectacular. 

When she'd pointed this out to Feyre, the High Lady had dragged Aelin back to her studio in the Rainbow. She'd sat Aelin down in the middle of the front room, beaming as bright as the sun. Then she'd run into the back room with only a quick, "Wait here!" thrown over her shoulder.

Now, Aelin waited impatiently for Feyre to return. She'd been gone for so long Aelin wondered if she might be painting an entire masterpiece just to show off her skill. 

Just as Aelin was about to go back to check on her, Feyre darted back into the room. Her smile had, if possible, gotten even brighter.

Feyre reached out and grabbed Aelin's hand. "Come here. I want to show you something." 

"What could have possibly taken so long that you-" Aelin's words became stuck in her throat when Feyre pulled her through the doorway. In the middle of the room sat a small canvas on an easel. And painted on the canvas...

Aelin stepped forward, the High Lady's hand still gripped in her own as she reached out her free hand to brush her fingers over the canvas. "You... you did this?" 

Feyre nodded, still beaming. It was all Aelin could do not to burst out laughing with joy. 

"No wonder I haven't seen you in hours, Feyre," She teased, but her throat was so choked up it didn't have the sass she intended. 

Feyre had forgone paint and used mostly ink, graphite, and charcoal to depict the masterpeice in front of her. And it was a masterpeice. What it lacked in color, it made up for with the pure heart that had gone into it. 

In the center of the canvas stood Aelin, as she had been merely a day ago, wreathed in fire and ash with a wicked smile to match. On her right stood Rowan, his face set in a hard scowl. To his right stood Amren, Varian, Tarquin, and Cresseida. And to Aelin's left...

Feyre watched Aelin as she leaned forward to look closer. The Feyre in the painting stood right beside Aelin, as if she had no care for the heat that was billowing from her body. Her left hand was clasped into Rhysand's, and both held a sword in their free hand. To Rhysand's right stood Morrigan and Azriel, their eyes on their High Lord and Lady. Rhysand had eyes only for Feyre. But Feyre was looking right at Aelin, her eyes reflecting the light of Aelin's flames.

Aelin felt as if she couldn't breathe around the lump in her throat. Feyre had painted such emotion into the picture. She felt as if she was back on that mountaintop, her friends beside her and willing to fight with her for their lives. She finally turned back to Feyre, speechless. 

"Sometimes, when I don't know what to say, or how to say it..." The High Lady said, her eyes glassy as she smiled at Aelin. "I'll paint what my words can't convey. You are my friend, Aelin. And I will miss you terribly when you are gone." She swallowed audibly. "It was an amazing honor to fight alongside you." 

Aelin finally laughed, releasing the pressure in her throat. "You are a horrible person. I have nothing to give you in return, and even worse, you made me wait for this present!" She laughed again, and before she could think better of it, pulled Feyre into a tight hug. 

Feyre laughed as well as she wrapped her arms around Aelin's waist. "I had to make some finishing touches! But I didn't want to wait any longer before I showed it to you." 

Aelin smiled into Feyre's shoulder. "I'll miss you too, Cursebreaker." She pulled back, keeping her hands on Feyre's shoulders. "But who knows what the future will hold? Even after Rowan and I go home, maybe someday, we'll return." 

Feyre grinned. "I'd like that very much." Her eyes dropped to where the Eye of Elena had rested against Aelin's chest. "So you can just... open doors between our worlds? Whenever you want?" 

"I think so," Aelin replied, stepping back and placing her hand over her heart. "Really, there's no way I can be sure, but when we were forging the Lock, it just felt so... different. Connected in a way it wasn't last time. Also..." She felt her grin split her cheeks as she raised a hand, summoning a ball of white-hot fire to her palm. "Thanks to you, my well of power is almost completely re-filled." 

"See? I knew sharing the burden would work," Feyre said, watching the flames dance in Aelin's palm. "I can feel the bit of power I gave you, you know. Now I know how the High Lords felt when I took their magic from them. There's a bit missing." Her eyes sparkled as she turned away from Aelin to throw a sheet over the canvas. "But I don't need it. I have everything I want. A bit of magic given for my friends doesn't bother me." 

As they both turned to leave, Aelin threw an arm around Feyre's shoulders. "Dear Feyre, if I had to share magic with anyone, I'm glad it's you. Now..." She pushed open the door and led them out into the street. "Will you please explain to me what exactly Starfall is?" 

Feyre's smile was nothing short of beautiful. "You'll have to wait and see, Majesty."

Completely badass Aelin cosplay by corinne_thorn!!

Am I the only one who has always pictured Aelin as being shorter than Feyre? I kind of picture her short in general lol. Not like obscenely small just like 5'5 or 5'6 or something like that haha. (I myself am only 5'6)

Also ya'll, plz be honest with me... if I wrote another story (probably shorter) about Feysand and Rowaelin's kids, would you read it? I may or may not already have started writing it😅 But I want opinions on if you'd read it or not? I realize my stories aren't near as well-known as some, but I enjoy writing them so much and I don't want to stop haha.