Epilogue

Several months later...

I breathed in deeply as Rhys led me toward the edge of the balcony. These days, I felt as if I could never get in a full breath. I'd heard many things about carrying a child, but the mobility I'd lose was one I hadn't heard enough to let it sink in. 

"You look radiant, Feyre darling," Rhys whispered into my hair. I grinned and turned my head to look at him. 

"You've looked better," I teased. It was true. Rhys might have been an immortal Fae, but I'd never seen him look so tired. I knew it was mostly to do with me, and the baby I carried. 

If I was being honest, I was also slowly crumbling with worry. But I couldn't allow myself to falter now. Not with everything happening. My one saving grace these days was Nesta's progress. According to Cassian, she'd become close with one of the priestesses from the library, and a shopkeeper from Illyria. 

Hearing those words, I didn't think I'd ever been prouder of my sister. Yes, she was horrible sometimes, but I loved her all the same. And I was so happy to see that she was healing, in her own way. 

"I've felt better," Rhys admitted. "I've tried everything, Feyre darling. I don't know where else to look."

"We'll figure something out, Rhys," I told him, placing my hand on the side of his face. "I won't let this be the end. We've only just started our story." 

Rhys turned his head to kiss my hand, then brought it down to hold between us. "I can't lose you again." 

"And you won't," I said. It came out harsher than I meant it to, but it was true. I wasn't going to let anything separate us from being a family. Not even looming death. 

I took a deep breath and turned to look at the stars hanging above us. As of right now, the three stars above the mountaintop shone against the inky sky. This couldn't possibly be the last time I would see them. 

"How about, for tonight," Rhys said, turning me back to face him. "We just try to forget about the danger. Tonight, I am simply a male who dearly loves his mate..." One hand dropped to rest on my swollen stomach. "And his child." 

"I'd like nothing more," I replied, smiling slightly. I put a hand around his neck and pulled him down to kiss me. Tonight, we could try to forget. Tonight, we could simply be us. 

But then I felt it. 

I pulled away from Rhys, turning. "Did you hear something?" 

Rhys's eyebrows knit together, and he scanned our surroundings, suddenly on alert. "No. What did you hear?" 

"Nothing..." I said hesitantly. I turned towards the open sky, scanning the stars for what could be causing this troubling feeling. But there was only the midnight sky, the bright blue and white stars twinkling down on us, the moon hanging high above. A light breeze blew across my face, and for a moment I wondered if I had imagined the feeling. 

Then, a fissure opened in the sky just above the mountains. My eyes widened. 

"What the hell?" Rhys muttered, stepping forward once. The fissure tore open, and through it, a flaming ball of red light came bursting across the sky. 

I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me. Until I noticed that it wasn't just a ball of light. It had a humanoid figure. A female figure.

A female figure that suddenly turned straight toward us. As if she could see us. She threw out a hand as she fell, and I could have sworn I heard her scream from all that distance. 

"Mother above..." I whispered, clutching Rhys's hand in mine. I knew exactly who arced across the city, burning bright as a star. 

Rhys raised a hand, and a blast of his dark power shot from his palm. The female twisted mid-air to crash into the wall he'd made for her. She punched straight through it, tearing it to shreds. I caught a glimpse of golden hair streaming from her head as she fell. Then a fissure opened underneath her, and she vanished through it. 

The night remained calm, as if the past ten seconds hadn't happened. I turned to stare at Rhys, whose hand was still raised in the air, as if in greeting. 

"Hello again, Aelin Galathynius," He whispered to the quiet night. His hand fell back to his side, and a slight smile grew on his face. "Until next time." 

Absolutely breathtaking Feyre cosplay by thestarseternal!!

Aaaaand there you have it. Cursebreaker and Fireheart/Wildfire and Stars Eternal has officially come to an end. ❤️❤️