Chapter 15: The Wards

"Tessia, get inside!" Aelin roared at the girl. Thankfully, she listened, darting across the street into a house and slamming the door. 

"You, there, now!" Aelin barked at Mala, pointing to an alleyway with decent cover. When Mala didn't move, Aelin grabbed her and dragged her over, tossing her inside. "Stay down." 

Aelin turned back to the growing dark spot, watching as a humanoid shape took form. A massive male with dark hair, shadowed power stemming from him like sap from a tree. He hovered over the city, seemingly stuck outside of the wards. But Aelin knew they wouldn't hold long. 

Aelin glanced behind her when she heard the loud booming of wings. She started waving her arms when she saw the two figures flying her way, assuming they were Feyre and Rhys. 

"HEY!! DOWN HERE, YOU OVERGROWN BATS!!" She yelled, swinging her sword to flash in the sunlight. The two figures veered towards her, and she realized immediately that it wasn't the High Lord and Lady, but rather the Spymaster and Illyrian General. 

Cassian landed hard against the pavement, practically shaking the ground. He stared at her as if she were a ghost. 

"Aelin? How did you get off Hybern?" He stopped before even giving her a chance to answer. "Wait. That's not important. Is that Hellas?" He pointed to the dark male just as his brother landed next to them. He didn't acknowledge Aelin other than a small nod. 

"Yes," Aelin sighed, swinging her sword around. Cassian's eyes followed it, the lids narrowing together slightly. 

"Is that Feyre's?" 

"Maybe. My sword was... busy," Aelin replied. "Where is Feyre, anyways? I figured she'd be here before you two." 

Cassian growled, but it was Azriel who answered. 

"She and Rhys went to Erilea to bring Rowan back to get you." 

Aelin stopped moving, turning to look back at the Shadowsinger. "They... what?" 

"They took a Wyrdgate," Cassian said. "But it would seem that mission is useless now, isn't it?" 

Aelin's heart sunk. Feyre had World-walked... for her? 

Suddenly, Mor appeared before them, making Aelin and Cassian jump. She opened her mouth to say something, but caught sight of Aelin and froze. 

"What the hell?" She barked. "What are you doing here?" She closed her eyes, making a stop motion with her hands. "Wait. No." She turned back to Cassian and Azriel. "They're back, and Rowan's with them." She looked at Aelin again at the last part. Aelin's heart stuttered, from joy or excitement, she wasn't sure which. 

"Already? That was fast," Cassian commented. A loud boom shuddered above them, and they all glanced back at the dark ball that was furiously trying to break through the wards. With each attempt, the dark power seemed to grow stronger rather than be deterred. 

"Did you say Rowan's here?" Aelin asked Mor, her eyes still on Hellas. 

"Rhys and Feyre brought him back. Oh, and-" Mor cast a glare at Aelin. "Apparently your court shot at them. Rhys took an ash arrow in the back." 

Aelin jerked around to look at her. "They did what?! Is he alright?!" 

Mor waved nonchalantly, but Aelin noticed the tightness visible in her shoulders underneath the armor she wore. "He's fine, I think. But Feyre wasn't too happy about it." 

"I bet," Aelin snapped, suddenly annoyed at her friends. "Who gave the order?" 

"Hell if I know. You can ask them when they get here. Which should be any minute now, actually," Mor said, turning to look southward.