Chapter 7: The Ghost

Gavin inclined his head slightly. "Hello, Prince." 

"I need your help," Rowan said, rising from his position on the ground and facing the king. He opened his mouth to explain, but Gavin raised a hand to silence him. 

"I know," The king said, a sad expression gracing his face. "I know everything." 

Rowan's heart thudded loudly in his chest. "How?" 

"How do you think an otherworldly symbol appeared here? Who did you think sent it?" 

The Night Court sigil that had appeared in this very courtyard. The one that had started this entire battle. "That was you?"

Gavin nodded gravely. "Connections between worlds, even worlds of the dead, were severed when Aelin Galathynius forged the Lock. I could not appear to you, but I could send a message." 

"You were warning us," Lysandra said from behind Rowan. "You were trying to tell us what Deanna was planning, weren't you?" 

Gavin nodded again. "And I did the same with the world of Feyre Archeron, High Lady of Night. With some help." 

"What help?" Lysandra asked. 

"Mala. She sent her fire to Prythian as a warning, but it got out of hand because of what she'd given the Cauldron." Gavin's eyes slid back to Rowan. "She used the last dregs of her power to warn Feyre Archeron."

"Were the dreams you as well? Trying to bring them together, to defeat her?" Aedion asked. 

"Sadly, no. That was the doing of the gods. I believe that was Mala and Deanna, each trying for a different result."

"What do you mean? They wanted them to meet?" Elide asked, her arms crossed over her chest. 

"Deanna initiated the first, in the hopes of frightening them both into submission," Gavin said, his tone even. His eyes gleamed. "Like any other immortal, she severely underestimated mortal stubbornness and perseverance." 

"And the second?" Elide pressed. 

"Mala's doing. So Feyre Archeron could be warned of what was coming for her world. But Deanna found out and used the opportunity to reveal her true intentions, to attack Aelin and let her know what she would do for revenge." Gavin hesitated. "She used the magic she'd freed from the Lock to attack Orynth just after."

"What about the water wolves?" Lorcan asked, gently pulling Elide back a step. 

"The magic stolen from the Cauldron doesn't appreciate being used any more than the object it was stolen from. Powerful it may be, but magic reflects the soul it inhabits. Feyre Archeron's magic shares her willful fervor. Deanna could not control it, not fully." 

"You're saying that Feyre's magic... escaped from Deanna? And crossed worlds? Why?" Aedion asked. 

Gavin opened his mouth to reply, but stopped suddenly, his head snapping downwards toward the sword that had summoned him. "How did you get that?" 

Rowan glanced back at Lysandra and Aedion, the latter of which shrugged. Rowan turned back to the king. "It's a bit of a complicated story, Majesty. The sword-" 

"Not the sword," Gavin hissed. "The blood. Who slew Deanna?" 

Dead silence. Rowan's mind spun. What was Goldryn doing covered in the blood of an immortal? 

"That's Deanna's blood?" Evangeline yelped from behind Lysandra. Gavin looked up again. 

"Well it's certainly not mortal blood," He said wryly. "Did none of you notice it wasn't drying as fast as your own does?" 

Pride, uncalled for and unbidden, flickered through Rowan's chest. No one but Aelin could have done so much damage to the goddess. But how had Goldryn gotten back here?

"It was here when I returned from Prythian," Rowan finally said. Gavin scowled. 

"More unknown variables than I care for," He growled. "I assume you've tried to return to Prythian?" 

"Yes. The Wyrdgates won't open," Ren said. "Has it been warded?" 

Gavin merely grunted, which Rowan took as a yes. "How many-" He stopped again, his head snapping up to look far beyond. "Someone is here." 

Rowan and the others all turned to follow his gaze. Rowan didn't see anything amiss. "What do you mean?" 

"Someone just entered Erilea through a Wyrdgate," Gavin hissed. 

"Aelin?" Lysandra gasped, spinning around to look at the king. 

"No." Gavin's brow was drawn tight in a scowl. "Someone not of this world. Be prepared." 

Seeming to have said his peice, the king vanished. It was silent for a moment as the information they'd just heard sunk in. Lysandra was the first to react. 

"Evangeline, get inside," Lysandra tried to push the girl towards the doors of the castle, but she ducked out of her reach. 

"I'm not leaving!" She drew the dagger strapped around her slim waist. Rowan recognized it as one that Aedion had given her for her last birthday. "I want to help!" 

"We don't know what just entered this world, Evangeline," He told her, pulling Goldryn from the ground and wiping off some of the blood. Knowing whose it was now, he didn't feel any regret disturbing it. "We can't guarantee your safety if you come along." 

Evangeline's mouth was set in a stubborn line. She crossed her arms and planted her feet. "I know. I want to come. I'm a member of this court too." 

"Evangeline-" Aedion started to say something, but Elide cut a glare at him, going to stand at Evangeline's side. 

"I agree with you. It's high time we started including you in these things." She rested her hands on the girl's shoulders, squeezing softly. But Rowan didn't miss the glance she sent Lysandra's way, or the mouthed I'll watch her. 

Lysandra sighed slightly. "Alright, fine. But stay behind us!" She turned to look in the direction Gavin had stared. "He was looking towards Adarlan. Should we start there?" 

Lorcan grunted, his large arms crossed and a heavy scowl on his face. "You know, I was actually having a pretty good day today until otherworldy beings decided to screw it up." He drew his own massive sword. "Let's go find whoever invaded this time, and tell them to piss off." 

Rowan and Aelin cosplays by fromthehobbithole and parchment_and_realms!!

I just posted a new book where I talk all things bookish!! If you feel like having a bookish chat, reading fun facts about books, hearing theories, or reading book talks, go check it out!! :D