Chapter 8: The Other World

Mor sliced a knife across her fingers, wincing slightly before kneeling down and smearing her blood across the ground. "I'll be taking this out of your paycheck, Feyre." 

Amren clicked her tongue. "Best not to antagonize her before she travels to another world, Morrigan." 

Mor flashed a wide grin. "But it's so fun!" 

I rolled my eyes, trying to ignore the churning nervousness of my stomach.  Everything in me screamed in terror at the thought of World-walking, but this was something I had to do. Not just because Aelin would do it for me, or because it was right, but because I knew that if I didn't I'd hate myself forever. 

I took Rhys's hand, the shield a stark block between us. "Ready?" 

He inhaled deeply, wings flaring slightly. "No." 

I laughed breathlessly. "You're ready." I looked over at Mor, who was waiting in front of us, her fingertips stained red. I nodded once to her. 

She finished the last Wyrdmark and stepped back quickly as white light flared. The portal slowly spun into existence. My breath hitched when I saw what lay within. 

Terrasen. It was exactly as Aelin had described it. Mountains and green valleys, as far as the eye could see. The land completely covered in those little red Kingsflame flowers. 

I squeezed Rhys's hand again. "Remember, Aelin said to picture Terrasen, and nowhere else. Otherwise, we might end up somewhere unknown."  I turned one last time to look back at my family. 

Mor stood between Azriel and Cassian, a clean cloth now pressed to her fingertips. The two Illyrians stood in similar stances, arms crossed and feet spread apart. Azriel's shadows wrapped around him so deep, it looked like he was about to fade into nothing. Amren stood next to Azriel, Elain on her other side. 

Amren nodded once at us, her small arms crossed across her chest. "We'll hold the city until you get back. If Hellas or Deanna should dare to make an appearance, we'll keep them at bay." 

Elain took a tentative step forward, her eyes on me. She looked like she was about to beg me to stay, but instead, she sighed. 

"Feyre, please be careful," She whispered, stepping back again. Her eyes flicked to Rhys."That goes for you as well." 

Rhys inclined his head to her. Then he looked at me again, his grip on my hand tightening. The stars in his eyes had all but gone out, but he managed a smile. 

He glanced back one last time at his brothers, his cousin. "We'll be back soon." 

They all nodded back but didn't say anything for a moment. Cassian cleared his throat. 

"We'll try to save some enemies for you two. It'd be a shame if you missed all of the ass-kicking that's sure to go down." He gave us one of his trademark shit-eating grins, albeit a bit halfheartedly. 

Rhys returned the grin. Then he stepped forward into the portal, pulling me with him. The last thing I saw was the faces of my family, pulled tight with all of the worry they hadn't wanted us to see. 

Then I was falling through time and space, darkness and light. Rhys's hand stayed clamped around mine until we saw sunlight ahead. 

Terrasen. I murmured down the bond. Rhys's grip tightened even further in response. I could hear both of our heartbeats, pounding in my ears and my very soul. 

Don't be afraid. I told him. 

I'm not afraid. He whispered back. I'm terrified. 

I took my free hand and enveloped both my hands around his. I am too. But you and I both know we'll make it through this. Together. 

He copied me, wrapping both his hands around mine. I love you, Feyre darling. 

I love you too, Rhys. 

We followed the light to the end, and when we stepped out of the portal, the sunlight blinded me for a moment. I raised an arm to shield the light, blinking rapidly. "So, this is Terrasen." 

Green, rolling hills as far as the eye could see. Red Kingsflame flowers blew gently in the wind that came from the mountains, bringing the smell of snow from the tallest peaks. Far off in the distance, I could see a massive forest, the pine trees such a rich green I wondered for a moment what paints I'd have to mix to create it on a canvas. 

"Yes, it would appear we made it," Rhys said, blowing out a shaky breath. He leaned down and plucked a Kingflame from the ground, twirling it between his fingers. "Now, to find Rowan." He glanced over at me. "You alright?" 

I smiled at him, ignoring my still-pounding heart. "Wonderful. Let's find Rowan." 

Completely badass Feyre cosplay by Macaylacarlene!!

HAVE YOU ALL HEARD THE NEWS??? ACOTAR IS GOING TO BE A TV SHOW ON HULU!!!!!! I HAVE NEVER BEEN SO EXCITED FOR ANYTHING IN MY LIFEEEE!!!! I NEED A CAST LIST STAT PLZ SJM, WHO IS GONG TO BE PLAYING EVERYONE'S FAVORITE BAT BOI HIGH LORD??? AND WHO'S GONNA PLAY THE QUEEN, THE HIGH LADY, FEYRE ARCHERON???

IN CASE IT'S UNCLEAR I AM VERY EXCITED!!!!!!!!😆😆😆 I CANNOT WAIT TO SEE THE WORLD OF PRYTHIAN COME TO LIFE!!!!! NOT TO MENTION THE STARFALL DRESS?? WHO IS GOING TO DESIGN IT??? HOW SPARKLY WILL IT BE?? AND WILL IT LIVE UP TO MY HIGH EXPECTATIONS OF GORGEOUSNESS??? IMPORTANT QUESTIONS, PEOPLE!!!