Chapter 5: The Vengeance

Aelin Galathynius, by some small miracle, was still standing. 

Deanna laughed mirthlessly, silver Moon-fire materializing in her palms as she stepped out of the shadows. "Ah. Aelin of the Wildfire. What a pleasant surprise." 

"'Pleasant' isn't the word I'd use," Aelin replied, her voice steady. "Vexatious, maybe." 

Deanna hummed slightly, her smile turning feral. "Large word for a small girl." Her Moon-fire raced down her hand and into the air, forming the shape of a blade. Deanna flicked it through the air, eyes glittering. "You have made a fatal mistake, Firebringer."

"What have you done to Mala?" Aelin knew there was no reason to stall. No help was coming. If Rhysand hadn't come back yet, he wasn't going to. Whether he'd left her intentionally or something was stopping him, it didn't matter. Aelin would have to fight this battle on her own. 

"You're asking questions you already know the answers to," Deanna noted. She pointed her blade at her sister, anger written across her features. "That bitch got what she deserved. Were it not for her interference, you would have died as you were supposed to. You'd no longer be a thorn in my side."

Aelin's eyes darted away from Deanna when a loud hiss emitted from the Cauldron. The bubbling had grown more fervent, the inky liquid popping and squealing against the lip of the strange metal object. Aelin recalled what Feyre had told her about her connection to the Cauldron. She'd been Made, a strange abomination that wasn't supposed to exist. A human soul trapped in a High Fae body. 

The idea entered her mind before she could stop it. As the cogs of her mind twirled, Aelin turned back to Deanna, raising her sword higher. She ignored the screaming pain in her wrist, ignored the shaking of her knees as her flames flared brighter. 

"Well, I won't be a thorn much longer," She said, a slight smile on her lips. Deanna laughed, the sound barely louder than the simmering liquid of creation. 

"Accepting death so quickly? How very un-queenly," The goddess purred. "If you're trying to stall for time, my dear, I'm afraid you'll have to try a bit harder. But your efforts are fruitless. No one is coming." She spun her Moon-fire sword again, her skin glowing in the evanescent light. 

"You've warded the island, then?" Aelin mused, her plan clicking into place in her mind. "Very clever. It's what I would've done." Her gaze darted away from Deanna to the Cauldron again, which had begun to steam. 

Deanna followed her gaze, eyes narrowing. 

"Is that you?" Aelin asked, gesturing vaguely to the Cauldron. While Deanna was looking away, Aelin glanced at the floor, trying to gauge how far away Deanna was. Aelin stepped backward, and Deanna's gaze shot back to her. She mirrored Aelin's footsteps as she placed herself directly across from the goddess, with the Cauldron between them. The steam blurred Deanna's image around the edges, making her look like a watercolor painting. 

"This is not my doing. You forget, this Cauldron is close to sentient. It feels anger, it feels vengeance. It does not like the part it is being forced to play," Deanna said. "However, it was a necessary evil to disturb its enchantments." 

"You mean to rob it of Feyre's magic," Aelin said, a snarl lacing through her words. "You disturbed a sleeping monster, Deanna. The Fae of this world don't appreciate your interference, and frankly, neither do I." She tightened her hold on her sword, adjusting her fingers to loosely grip the guard. She knew what she had to do. Now all she needed was the right moment. 

Deanna smirked at her, a wolf drawing nearer to its prey. "I will enjoy killing you, Aelin Galathynius." She raised a hand, Moon-fire licking her fingers in a joyful dance. "You were meant to die filling a debt long overdue." She glared at Aelin, rage becoming the only emotion evident in her eyes. "Today, that debt will be paid." 

She launched the Moon-fire at Aelin's chest, but Aelin had been prepared. She ducked and rolled to the left, landing on her feet in front of Mala. Before Deanna could turn to follow her, Aelin let loose a cry of fury. She slashed Goldryn in front of her in a long arc, letting her loose grip slide off completely when the blade was pointed directly at Deanna's exposed side. The sword flew through the air, cleaving the smoke rising from the Cauldron and slicing clean through Deanna's ribs. The force of the throw pushed Deanna back a step, and the tip of the sword pinged against stone as it exited Deanna's body. 

Aelin didn't wait to see if it kept her down. She charged for the Cauldron, slamming her hand upon the cool metal surface before Deanna could stop her. 

A shudder passed through Aelin's body. Power as she'd never felt before shot through her veins, exploring her body, mind, and magic. The Cauldron examined her as someone would a small animal, wondering whether they should put it out of its misery. 

Aelin's thoughts short-circuited and her limbs spasmed as she collapsed to the floor, her hand still glued to the Cauldron's side. She could feel that strange presence still coursing through her, a nonexistent mind wondering if it should kill her. Her heart raced double-time, pumping faster than a mortal body could handle. 

The pain in her wrist became minimal, then vanished. Her veins seemed to tighten, her nerves overloaded with too much information as the Cauldron pulled back, a silent war still raging inside.

Aelin watched Deanna pull Goldryn from her body, now streaked with thick red liquid. The goddess panted heavily, her face twisted with wrathful anger. "You are the most fool-hardy mortal I've ever met, little Aelin. This will be your downfall." She balanced the blade in her open hand, and with a flash of white light, Goldryn was gone. Deanna winced, falling to her knees as blood soaked through her tunic. She raised a hand, and a soft glow passed over her. 

Aelin blinked, and Deanna stood up, fully healed and clearly furious. Aelin didn't have any feeling left in her to be afraid as Deanna advanced. 

"Healing magic," Deanna spat, stopping next to her prone body. "Courtesy of your Feyre Archeron. Tell her thank you from me," She raised her Moon-fire sword, poising it over Aelin's exposed heart. "When you see her in hell." 

And the sword came crashing down.

Stunning Aelin cosplay by shakespeareandme!!