Chapter 29: The Defeated

Warning: This chapter may also cause minor heartbreak/tears. You've been warned... Enjoy!

I am Aelin Ashryver Whitethorn Galathynius, and I will not be afraid. 

I am Aelin Ashryver Whitethorn Galathynius... and I will not be afraid. 

I am... I am Aelin Ashryver Whitethorn Galathynius, and I... will not be afraid. 

I am... Aelin Galathynius... I... will not be afraid. 

I am Aelin... I am afraid. 

I am afraid. 

Aelin squeezed her eyes shut, clenched her teeth, tried to slow her racing heart. "I will never let you do this." 

"You won't have a choice, darling girl," Deanna said, reaching out a hand and pointing to where Feyre kneeled over her general. Aelin's legs moved without her consent, drawing her closer to the High Lady. 

"No. No. No," Aelin sobbed, reaching deep within her well of power for any way to halt her steps. But there was nothing there. Nothing that belonged to her, anyway. 

Feyre shook her head from where she kneeled. Her lips echoed Aelin's own words. No. No. No...

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry," Aelin wept, stopping in front of Feyre and Rhys, who hadn't moved. Aelin didn't know if Deanna was keeping them there, or if they just lacked the strength to stand.

Aelin's hands reached out, her fingertips touching the High Lord and Lady's foreheads.

"I'm sorry," She whispered, feeling the power stirring within her. "I'm sorry." 

Feyre closed her eyes. Aelin saw her hand clench into a fist against Cassian's chest. 

Then Aelin knew nothing but the dark. 

---------------------

It was the blackness of death. It was the darkness of the space between stars. It was the call of power awoken only by a monster of its own creation. 

And it was all there right at her fingertips. 

Aelin could feel it all, could feel it leaving the bodies it inhabited, responding to her summons. She could feel it filling her veins, her well of power expanding just to hold it all. That potential she'd once held in her hands, before forging the Lock. It was back, strong as ever, if changed. 

And then she felt something different. Something... bright. Something that touched her very energy, something that wrapped around her heart and whispered to her, stop. Stop.

Aelin reeled backward, her fingertips wrenching away from the souls she'd touched, the souls she'd begun to rip from her friends. Her vision spiraled back to itself and sharpened to near-perfection in seconds. She blinked against the red sun, trying to reorient herself. 

"Aelin?" She heard. She blinked blearily down at the woman kneeling in front of her, draped protectively over one male while another sat beside her. Feyre. Feyre and Rhys. And... Cassian. 

Aelin suddenly started. "Where's Rowan?" She asked, her voice barely a croak. She'd pushed him away. She'd been so blinded by rage she hadn't stopped to think what'd happened to him. 

"Here," She heard. She turned to see Rowan standing next to her, grasping his chest tightly. Her heart expanded to the point of pain. 

"I hurt you," She whispered, reaching to touch his ribs. He wrapped his free arm around her, holding her close. 

"It doesn't matter," He said, squeezing her tight. 

"How touching," Deanna drawled. "However, Aelin, dear, we have some work to do now." Deanna held out a hand, beckoning Aelin closer. 

Aelin tried to fight it. She pulled every bit of her will together and took one step away from Deanna. But it was only one step, and no matter how far she went, Deanna had already accomplished her goal. 

Rowan held her tighter, lifting her almost off the ground so her feet weren't touching the dirt. "You're not taking her anywhere." 

"Quite the contrary, Prince," Deanna said, clenching her hand into a fist. Without warning, Rowan suddenly collapsed, releasing Aelin and crumpling to the ground. 

"Rowan!" Aelin shrieked, trying to dive for him. She stopped an inch from his skin. 

"You are mine," Deanna said as she forced Aelin to stand, to turn her way. "You belong to me now." 

"No," Aelin breathed, the only word she could think. "No. Rowan..." 

"Yes," Deanna said, beckoning her. Aelin took a few heavy steps toward her, each one washing her body in a new wave of fear. 

"Stop. Stop, please," She heard Feyre beg behind her. "Let her go." 

Deanna waved a hand, and Feyre went silent. Aelin heard two more bodies slump down. 

She was truly alone now. 

After everything she'd done, after everything she'd sacrificed, everyone she'd lost, this was what her path had led to. She'd survived the assassination as a child. She'd survived Endovier. She'd survived the loss of friends, family, love, and the comforts of home. She'd risen from assassin to queen, she'd given her life force to forge the Lock, and somehow come out the other side. 

And after all that, after all that she'd given blood, sweat, and tears to protect... she'd die not defending her world, but destroying it. 

"Come, dearest," Deanna said as Aelin stopped in front of her. "We have a world to tear apart." 

Beautiful Celaena cosplay by Peachyqueencosplay!!

So this one wasn't as heartbreaking, but it still hurt me a little bit. Apologies!