Chapter 16: The Attack

I watched from across the river as the slight Fae girl released her second arrow, sending it straight for the god attacking Velaris. This one barely clipped his shoulder, but he acted like he'd been fatally wounded, bellowing at the heavens. 

With a start, I realized that I'd been standing frozen for far too long. I let the water drop back into the riverbed and winnowed to the theatre. 

"What are you doing?" I heard Aelin shriek just as I reappeared. She pulled Tessia's bow down before she could release a third arrow. "He'll murder you for this!" 

Tessia shrugged Aelin off and raised her bow again. "And if I do nothing, he could do far worse to my city." 

Aelin growled. "Why do you even have iron arrows?" 

Tessia didn't answer. She would have been interupted, anyway. Hellas roared again, and I turned to see him rip her first arrow out of his chest, dark blood dripping from his armor. He pointed at all of us, but Tessia in particular. 

"YOU WILL ALL SUFFER THE PAIN OF A THOUSAND HELLS FOR THIS," He yelled, rage simmering off of him in waves of dark magic. He swept a hand in front of him, and the ground rumbled underneath us. 

"MOVE!" Aelin screamed, grabbing me with one hand and Tessia with the other. She dragged us both off to the side, Rowan at our heels. "MOVE!" 

The Illyrians shot into the sky, and Mor vanished. Not a moment too soon. Aelin threw us all behind a wall topped with spiky iron posts just as the square at our backs exploded in a fiery inferno. Aelin forced my head down, and for a moment I stared at the pavement as debris rained down around me. When Aelin released me, I looked at her and saw she was covered in a thin layer of dust. 

She coughed and spat some dirt out of her mouth. "Ugh. Okay, now I really want to kill him." 

Rowan grunted his agreement, peering up over the wall. 

Tessia stood on her knees to join him, bow raised again. "Where is he?" 

Aelin coughed once more, pointing. Hellas hovered overhead, locked in battle with both Cassian and Azriel. I jerked towards Tessia and forced her bow down. 

"What? I won't hit them!" She said indignantly. 

"Why are you even-?" Aelin stopped herself, breathing out deeply. "Why do you have iron arrows? How did you know they would hurt him?" 

"I didn't," Tessia replied, pulling an arrow from the sheath across her back. "Iron is just less expensive than steel. It's heavier and can be harder to work. The blacksmith lets me apprentice for him sometimes, and he gives me the arrows he deems unworthy for the ranks." She pointed to the tip. "See? This one is a bit dull." 

"Very interesting," I interrupted, pulling both her and Aelin to their feet. "But bad timing." 

Tessia eyed me strangely. "Why are you sparkly?" 

"Again, bad timing!" I turned away from them, searching the skies. Cassian, Azriel, and Hellas were a blur of red, blue, and black. Siphon light ricocheted off the god but otherwise seemed to do no harm. While both Illyrian's blades were covered in blood, it didn't seem to have much effect either. 

Rhys was nowhere to be seen. RHYS! I yelled out, grasping for his mind. RHYS!!

Right here, Feyre darling. I nearly collapsed with relief as I finally spotted him flying towards me, nearer to the ground so as to stay out of sight. He landed in front of me hard, nearly cracking the ground. 

"How do we stop him?" He directed the question to Aelin. She shook her head helplessly. 

"I've never fought him before, I've-" 

"How'd you get away from Deanna?" I interrupted. "Is she dead?" 

Aelin's eyes suddenly widened. "Shit." She spun around, sprinting back for the square. "MALA!!"

"Aelin, stop, he'll see-" Rowan chased after her, but she ignored him and aimed for an alley off the side of the square, where I could see a shadow crouched against a building.

Rhys growled low in his throat. "Don't tell me she brought that other goddess here." 

A loud crack ripped across the sky, and I glanced up when twin cries of pain followed. My heart stopped, then cleaved in two. Hellas gripped Cassian and Azriel by their necks. Azriel looked unconscious, but Cassian was awake and fighting. Cassian's right wing was twisted at an odd angle, and Azriel's were both snapped at the bones connected to his back. 

"SEE WHAT YOU'VE CAUSED, AELIN GALATHYNIUS?" Hellas roared. He shook Cassian roughly, and Cassian groaned. His Siphons flickered weakly, and his hands scrabbled uselessly at Hellas's iron grip. Rhys tensed at the sound, his shoulders impossibly tight. I grabbed his arm before he could fly up to meet them. 

Hellas turned to look at us. Or rather, at me. His power began to move my way, snaking through the air like worms. Rhys snarled at the threat, putting his arm in front of me.

"IF YOU DO NOTHING, SHE WILL BE NEXT, AELIN OF TERRASEN." His voice thundered across the city streets, the echo ringing through my bones. "ARE YOU SUCH A COWARD YOU-"

Suddenly, a spurt of flame appeared next to Hellas, morphing into the shape of a body. Dark onyx smoke poured off the shape in waves as it careened towards Hellas, latching onto his shoulders. He yelled, releasing Cassian and Azriel to grapple with the flaming body. They both plummeted towards the ground, Azriel a dead weight in the sky. Cassian grabbed him and tried to hold them both up, but his right wing was so twisted that he couldn't extend it. Rhys disappeared next to me, winnowing to the both of them and then winnowing back safely to the ground. 

Tessia and I stared at Hellas, who now fought tooth and nail with the figure wreathed in flame, his power slipping uselessly against it. As we watched, the black smoke solidified to form a female body. The fire whipped together to form a golden braid. An Illyrian sword flashed in the sun, its wicked edge slashing through the air as Aelin pressed it tight against Hellas's throat. 

"Don't. You. Fucking. Touch her." She snarled, loud enough for all to hear. 

Starfall Feyre and Rhys by Karo.cosplay and Lecram!!

OK SO I WATCHED SHADOW AND BONE. 

UM. 

SPEECHLESS. 

IT WAS GLORIOUS AND I DEMAND A SEASON 2 IMMEDIATELY, PLEASE. Like SERIOUSLY. I didn't expect it to be this good!! I LOVE the Six of Crows books but didn't really love the Shadow and Bone books, but THIS SHOW. OHMYGOD. IT GOT ME SO INVESTED I WAS LITERALLY YELLING AT THE TV. And tying the Six of Crows characters in?? GENIUS. AND THEY DID IT SO SEAMLESSLY!!! If I hadn't known they were two separate stories, I WOULDN'T HAVE KNOWN THEY WERE TWO SEPERATE STORIES. 

No spoilers, but DAMN THAT WAS AMAZING AND I WILL DEFINITELY BE RE-WATCHING IT.