Heart Of Gold And Steel

After waiting a few weeks to convalesce from the battle of Earth that left some inflicted with post traumatic stress disorder such as the chaos that ensued; the deaths of others who fought valiantly to stop Thanos, the near-death experiences and the terrifying rumble from that of the snapping of one's fingers when the power of the Infinity Stones were combined. For Gianna, upon receiving her full memory back, all her pain came flooding back leading up to when she lost her son during the Decimation, unrivalled by the loss of her home and her people.

With Tony's funeral coming up at the end of that week, the heroes prepared for the event knowing that it was important to his family. Wanda could tell something was off - by the connection they shared through their soul bond and from her telekinesis reading the negative vibes radiating from her wife. She found her wife tending to her son's dirty diaper while listening to a copy of Peter Quill's Awesome Mixtapes, dancing and swaying to the music. 

Wanda stood at the doorway and admired her soulmate enjoying herself while their son was laid on his back, a new diaper put on him as she began to sing along with her old Asgardian accent that she found cute. Letting out a giggle, the brunette gave herself away to Gianna who almost jumped from noticing Wanda's presence alone. Extending her arm out to her wife, she called her over for a dance as the next song played. 

"What's on your mind, draga?" Wanda purred as she kept her arms wrapped around Gianna's neck. 

"What do you think I'm thinking about?" Gianna asked in a deep, lustful voice. 

Wanda's eyes widened, her cheeks flushed red, words unable to form in her throat as she let out a nervous chuckle which made Gianna break character and laugh at her reaction from her reading her thoughts. 

"You know what would be hot for you to wear at the funeral?" Gianna asked mischievously. 

Knowing it was a dirty thought, she fretted what her wife had in mind until she whispered it in her ear, causing Wanda to flush in embarrassment even more, to Gianna's delight. 

Wanda groaned and picked up her son. "I knew I should not have gotten drunk that night. I can only blame myself for making you so desperately horny, sexually craving my body." 

"You know half the time I'm messing with you - you're so cute when you blush. Yet you titillate me with your beauty alone, my love. How else can I express my love for you?" 

Wanda let out a snort and rolled her eyes. "You're so charming, darling. Do you think if we were not soulmates, that we would be together?" 

"Of course! I could not even dare to think of a reality where I could allow you to fall into someone else's warm embrace." 

"E-Even if, say, I was not - at the time interested - in women, or... that person did something that meant saving the world, and... a sacrifice had to be made to do it?" 

Gianna's eyebrows knitted together, unsure of what she was alluding to. "And what, may I ask, is the reason for you bringing up such a specific thing, Wanda dearest?" 

Wanda gulped, her mouth open a little as she struggled to think of something else to keep the conversation going when all she could do was give up her attempt to lie and came clean. 

"When Tha--he, attacked... I, I had to kill your mother--" 

"WHAT?!" Gianna exclaimed which failed to startle their son. 

"I had to! She was going to kill me and take us away from each other so she could have you to herself!" 

"Wha, what...?" 

"I did it for you. She said she knew how to keep one of us alive with the other dead - I killed her because she was evil, and I couldn't risk losing you or our children." 

Gianna frowned, pouting her bottom lip. "Oh, baby..." 

"I-I'm sorry I yelled." 

"No. It's understandable," she cooed and pulled her wife against her. "The things we do for love, right?" 

"Right. We should get ready. But I'm not putting those panties." 

"If this is your way of teasing me, it's working." 

"Taci, scumpo. Shut up, sweetie." 

In preparation of the funeral, the two women dressed for the occasion as well as their children before making their way to Tony's lakeside cabin where the others had gathered. Everyone was there, all sad but putting on a strong face. The last time Gianna saw so few people at a funeral was for that of the death of the Warriors Three after the surviving Asgardians managed to form a New Asgard on Earth where there was proper time to mourn for the dead. 

It was easily understandable of where everyone stood in distance from where Pepper had placed Tony's Heart, as those whose relationship with Tony prospered were at the front, and those who barely knew him were further at the back, such as Wanda, her children and Gianna, who the closer relationship she had with him than her family, remained with her own as they paid their respects along with everyone else present at the funeral. 

After everyone was finished paying their respects, everyone scattered around the property of the lakeside cabin. Wanda and Gianna stood by the lake, pondering about whether those who'd fallen knew that they had succeeded. In their hearts, they knew that they knew. Distracted by the presence of Steven Strange, Gianna conversed with him while Wanda was left unattended and her children were inside the house minded by Clint's wife and older children. 

"... now that Stark's gone, Earth just lost its best defender. Which means, any means of Earth's defences are now in our hands." Strange began as they wandered around to the back of the cabin where food had been prepared. 

"And what of the galaxy? We've no means of branching out to the hundreds of thousands of planets out there." Gianna replied, unsure of what was to become in preparation of any future catastrophes. 

"The Guardians can take care of that. At least, they can warn us of anything forthcoming. My forte is inter-dimensional threats, not stargazing." 

"A few years ago, I sought Tony's company after he asked me to uphold a dinner with himself and Pepper for old times sake. In confidence, he confided you gazing into the future for the possibilities in which we won; where you told Tony that only one out of fourteen million, we won." 

"We'll never win for good. I believe your friend, the keeper of the Mind Stone summed it up best: 'our very strength invites challenge. Challenge incites conflict. And conflict breeds catastrophe'. I could tell you that I looked into every possibility where we almost succeeded, but I don't have five thousand years. The only important thing right now, is protecting the Stone and protecting the realms. And if I were you, I'd keep a close eye on Mrs Maximoff because she's a glass cannon waiting to shatter. And as for your little soulbond? If you break it, it means the rest of the universe will have to suffer to." 

"I've heard it before, Stephen. You needn't remind me of my duty to ensure that I love and cherish my wife, my soulmate." 

A child's excited giggled distracted the two to the five year-old girl staring up at her mother, her hands raised up, groping the air for her to be picked up. A smile curled on Gianna's lips as she picked her daughter up and waggled her finger at her before bringing her attention back to Stephen. 

"Don't tell me how to live my life, Strange - I'll take advice, but not rebuking remarks from the likes of you." Gianna scolded him as she took her leave to find her wife and son. 

Easily, she found the Scarlet Witch manipulating the water to appease her audience in order to lighten the mood. Amazed by this, Wanda caught onto the thoughts of her wife admiring her soulmate, her attention momentarily distracted which made her reminisce the times when she would delight Gianna with the magic show. The only other times Gianna was when she would stargaze on a night sky in the outskirts of Asgard. Knowing things wouldn't be the same again, she hoped to make every moment with her family count.