No Escape

Endless complaints slowly built up the annoyance of the two women escorting the two children along the empty road out of Westview. While Iris and William repeatedly asked the same question over and over, Wanda had been contemplating asking her wife about what she saw when she fought her attacker, but really all she wanted was to be somewhere safe where they could raise their children. They had done well for so long, up until now where things started to change. 

"... wanna go home!" William whined. 

"Mommy, mama, is it safe to go back?" Iris asked more calmly compared to her older brother. 

Growling in irritation of their ceaseless jabbering, Gianna raised her voice at the two youngsters. "In the name of Odin... SILENCE, PLEASE!!" 

Shocked by the sudden outburst, Iris and William glanced at one another then back at their mothers as they walked a metre behind them while they had a chat with each other, leaving the two younglings to converse with each other seeing as how whatever was bothering their mama caused her to be bothered by them. Barely paying attention to the open field separated by the road, a single bush berry was planted next to a telegraph pole that stretched on for many kilometres as the sun beat down on them from above. Softly, the two children spoke to one another as they walked endlessly along the narrow road. 

"Do you think something's happed in Westview that's made us leave home?" William asked curiously, pondering about the reasons for their leaving their home town. 

"I don't know." Iris responded moodily. 

"Do you think we'll be able to go back?" 

"I don't know." 

"Did mama know that person who attacked us?" 

"I don't know, Will!" 

The young boy paused - clearly unaware that his pestering quickly lead to his little sister getting vexed with him - before he asked yet another question. "W-What about Sparky? You think he--" 

"William Maximoff, you ask me one more question, and I swear I will poison your next bowl of porridge and shove firecrackers down your pants." 

Unphased by her outburst, William finally stopped annoying his sister before he found her hand holding onto his as they journeyed along the endless road whilst listening in on their mothers' conversation.

"... don't know better. It's like, it's sorta like... how do I put this? I was fighting her, but I wasn't her. I was fighting someone else," said Gianna.

"I, I do not understand. My love, wh-what could they have wanted from you?" Wanda asked in a perturbed manner.

"Alas, I failed to grasp that chance when we reached that standstill. I was... shocked, to see her face again."

"I would too, considering that I was there to hear it from Clint after we defeated Thanos."

The name brought much curiosity to the children, more so William as the name contained an essence of fear within his mother's voice as she dared speak that name again. Though Iris had a vague understanding of who that was, she dared not ask or persist for answers about something so traumatising to those who had to watch loved ones and friends pass on to a world of Lost Souls.

"Care to stop and rest?" Wanda suggested. 

"Of course. Children. Let us rest a moment. This walking is beginning to hurt my feet, considering that I'm always someone who's on their feet for such tasks like this during my younger--"

Glancing at Wanda, she noticed her giving her a funny look before she corrected herself. 

"My... slightly, younger years, that is. Back when, when Asgard was thought to be a place..."