Chapter Twenty Two - Christmas Time

It was nearly christmas

It was nearly christmas. Chuck had jetted of somewhere the night of the Cotillion and sent two word in a text.

I'm sorry.

I asked him where he was and if he was okay. I know he's an ass but he's still my brother. There was no reply but I checked and he landed safely though they wouldn't tell me where. I was at the Constance Billard-St Judes Bizzar watching the choir.

"I've got it." I jumped and turned to a beamingVanessa. she held up a rolled New York times.

"The did it?" she nodded

"Come on." I pulled her over to Dan and Serena

"There he is. Dan!" I called helping us two through the small crowd. He turned upon hearing his name and gave us a smile.

"Hey, Rosie and Vanessa." Vanessa held up her present for him to take

"Merry Christmas." she chimed

"This is a copy of the New Yorker, but thank you but I have a subscription" he replied

"There is something else in there a letter. What does it say Serena?" Vanessa asked handing it to her and she opened it.

"Dear Mr Humphrey; we are please to advise you that's we'd like to publish your short story in our summer fiction issue 20 under 20" she read out and was beaming.

"It's a contest for young unknown writers and I might have mentioned to Vanessa...who then might have sent one in on your behalf." I state with a coy smile

"Oh, my god. I'm gonna be published." I shared a triumphant look with Vanessa, we have somewhat bonded since she's been here.

"That...oh. This can't be real. Is this real?" he was defiantly shocked taking the letter off his girlfriend and looking at it himself.

"This is so great. I haven't even read one of your stories" Serena chimed

"He doesn't show them to anyone." Vanessa replied

"Yeah, it was only in conversation that I knew and then we conspired together so that Vanessa swipe this one. And to go with that, I might have had a few conversations to take over this gift for this year." I dug into my bag and handed him his present. I handed it to him.

"What's this?" he wondered taking it off me

"Open it." I insisted, he gave me a confused look and opened it. It was a leather bound notebook with his name embossed and a pen.

"Seriously?"

"I don't get it?" Serena was confused

"Well through one of our many empty shop conversations we got to talking, every year Dan is gifted a notebook and pen. I asked Rufus if for this year as my first friend out of my normal circle I could do it. He was only too happy to agree." I explained to the blonde