chapter 17

Chapter 17

I strode into the kitchen where Lizzy and Terry were.
“ Hey guys,” I said as poured a glass of milk.
“ hey “ Terry mumbled, Lizzy only scoffed. I had gotten used to her ignoring me.
“ I have a project that needs my attention,” Lizzy sighed as she got off the chair.
“ I can help” I offered. She stared at me, her gaze questioning.
“ I can do it on my own,” she said and offered a sly smile. She moved elegantly away from us.
“ Let her be for now,” Terry said, his undivided attention now on me.
“ But tell me something Ivy, what were you thinking screwing Mark?” I froze in stillness. He couldn’t have known unless_ I groaned, starting where Lizzy had gone. She had promised to keep to herself.
“ it’s not her, I saw you in the kitchen, I waited until you got out of his room. I saw everything Ivy,” I swallowed hard, my hands trembled, my palms sweating.
“ and heard everything” strength departed from my body. Who else had witnessed it that night? Who else had seen that something had transpired between Mark and me?
“ Did he force you? Did you bargain this house for sex?” I shook my head. I could not have fathomed the idea of him saying that.
“ I don’t know what you are talking about Terry” but the shaking of my hands betrayed me.
“ I ain’t condemning it but you could have done it with someone who isn’t family” he thinned his lips.
“ I saw father when we went to the beach that day.” He shrugged his shoulders. I stared at him. Looking for any emotions that would betray why he was feeling but there was nothing. His face was straight, his eyes lowered to his gadget.
“Terry_” he chuckled
“ saw him with a woman, I wanted to you that night but then l stumbled upon a scene. Ivy, do you know how heartbroken I was to see you being compromised by him?” I tried to escape, to slap him but my body remained frozen, trying to digest what he had said.
“ did you tell mother?” that was the only word I managed to say. His eyes were levelled with mine and the pain I saw broke me into million pieces.
“ I only told you” he smiled.
“ do you know, dad looked happy with that woman. I hope you understand where I am coming from and going!” l only nodded though truthfully I didn’t.
“ stay away from Mark, he will only hurt you as father did to mother. That kind of relationship only ends in tears.” I nodded, I had managed to stay away from him for a while.
We had lost contacts but the magazine and tab lots did nothing but increase my anxiety.
He was a man of wealth and power. And he knew how to show his wealth.
He had a line of lingerie, a successful one at that. Every weak his lingerie would be on the runway and those models he had used would be on his arm every day. It was even rumoured that he shares his bed with everyone. Who could deny him? Every woman felt the need to grace his body and bed
“ I am going to help Lizzy with her project” I nodded and he made his way out of the kitchen. I stayed in the kitchen for longer.
“ aren’t you cooking dinner tonight Ivy, anyway forget it, my baby brother has won an award.” She screamed.
“ ohh” that what all I could manage to say.
“ yes, I get we should go out and celebrate him”
I shook my head. I was going anywhere to celebrate him. He has the whole world to celebrate him.
“ you go on mother, my project needs to be finalized. I am graduating in a week ‘ a tine” she seemed to be contemplating what I he said and whatever that was in her mind.
“ sure, sure, you carry on,” she looked disappointed.
“ mother what sort of an award did he get this time?” she smiled
“ most successful business of the year.” I nodded.
“ Good for him, tell bum I said congratulations on my behest” l smiled and strode out. What was so important was if he win, he can win the whole world for all l care. I clicked my tongue.
His name seems to be everywhere. How then am I to forget what happened between us, how then am I to forget the way he made me feel, the way he whispered my name when we were making out.
So I channelled my frustration at school. Worked hard, jogging every morning too but kit the anger. He never visited to see if I had reached home safely. Not once did he call after that night. Yet they want me to celebrate him? I would rather die than celebrate him. Let his whores celebrate him!