chapter 39

Chapter 40

The bright morning sunlight poured into my room, waking me up from a deep slumber. Slowly I opened my eyes. I looked at the ceiling and sighed. I was home. The last thing I remember was I was in the bar drinking. From there everything went blank.
I set up and yelped in pain. My head was killing me, my insides turning. I bolted from the bed and ran into the bathroom.
I emptied all that was in my stomach. With wobbly feet, I stood up and headed for the shower. I let the warm water run, relaxing my muscles.
After that shower, I felt relieved but the headache didn’t away neither the notion to sleep. My stomach rumbled with hungry.
“ that’s my cue to head to the kitchen”, I mumbled to no one in particular.
“ so you now go out in the middle of the night to drink and whore? “ I glanced at the chair she had inserted herself on. A small blanket covered her legs.
“ Morning to you too mother, what a pleasant morning. Saw you slept on the floor” I looked at the blankets that were lying on the floor. She scoffed
“ There is nothing pleasant about this morning! You..” she screamed.
“ mother calm down, it was just a one-night thing” I had reassured her but that wasn’t it. The craving for more rum and tar made it impossible. I would find myself sneaking out even during the day.
Clara had given up. She had opened the other room. I found her moving all my clothes there.
“ you have wasted sperm” she had spat on the floor. I shrugged my shoulders and thanked her. She had given me the freedom I so wished for since she dragged me.
One day as I was eating breakfast. Clara strode in, a card in hand.
“ Trisha’s baby shower” she threw the card on the table. I looked at it and clicked my tongue. I grabbed it and threw it in the bin. I was more than furious, I was shaking.
“ baby shower my foot” l mumbled to myself. My wedding had gone wrong but her proposal had not.
“ her creaking proposal had not!” I took the can’t from the bin and tore it apart.
“ Why are things not going my way, why did I even ruin my life for a man? “ I wiped the gashes of tears that had streamed out of my eyes. I wasn’t going to cry, I he did for a Long time now.
“ I am going down the street mother” I called out to her. I heard her mumble a few words. I closed the door and felt the street air welcoming. The smell of food, body odours, drugs and_
I looked at the stand where Mark’s picture and Annabelle‘s picture were. I froze as l looked at the headlines.
The Billionaire ‘S SECRET OUT ‘ It read. I felt the air leave my lungs. No one knew to except family. No one knew that Mark had a child let alone the name.
“ Sir, can I see that?” I pointed at the magazine. He took it and gave it.
“ isn’t he your brother? “ I shook my head. The man just stared at me.
“ If he is, I have no idea about it,” I said. He nodded his head.
‘It has come to our attention that Mark kingwood has a daughter who is a year old. This has come to light attention after his small wedding with an unknown woman that Mark has an heiress but it seems there is more in the closet .’ I skimmed through the paper. There was no mention of my name or who the mother of the baby was.
Had Mark done this to site me? To show to the whole world that he had a daughter and that daughter and that I wasn’t part of her life. To heck with it.
“ thank you” I returned the paper. I just wanted fresh air but that fresh had turned out to be suffocating me.
I rounded the corner and entered the small shop that sells fast food. It had been my favourite since I was a child. I used to come here often with Trisha but now it seemed I was all on my own. Reid’s had her baby to look after and probably a husband while sure her engraved in pain.
“ hey, why is a pretty lady sitting her all on here other?” said a deep voice next to me. I had not noticed him, not that he is insignificant but _
“ I ain’t alone” I lied through my clenched teeth. He smiled. I had heard that voice before but I could point where.
“ have we met!” I said, studying his profile. He shrugged his shoulders.
“ maybe, maybe not. I am Ashley and you?” he flashed a big smile, his perfect sharp teeth showing.
“ are you sure you are not a vampire?” I inquired. He laughed.
“ you are funny__,” he said pointing at me still laughing. For a moment I thought he was crazy.
“ nice, you find humour in my discomfort” I scoffed.
“ you look comfortable to me_,” he said, eying me. I felt my breath hitch as I got trapped in his eyes.
“ ummm_” I cleared my throat. He also cleared his.
“ I will take the large fries and quarter chicken, and the largest cola you have” he ordered, I started at him.
“ those muscles didn’t just come from eying that much,” I said. I cursed myself after those words came a lot from my mouth.
“ If they didn’t come from food where else could they have come from?” he smirked. Realization dawned on me. He was joking, Mark had never joked. I had never seen him joking or laughing. He had always been serious and smoked here and there.
“ so _ you never told me your name?” he faced me, his full attention on me and for some reason, I felt naked in front of him, self-conscious of what I was wearing. Small thoughts crept into my mind.
“ Ivy” my voice was so small.
“ mmm a nice name of a beautiful lady,” he took my small hand with his. I watched as he leaned for the kid.
My breathing stopped as his lips came in contact with my skin. I felt tingles spread through my hand down to my feet.
“ and smells nice too” he mumbled. He levelled his gaze with mine as he let go of my hand.
“ uhh__thank you I guess?” I said.
“ Sir, your order is ready," the waitress said.
“ Can I have your pen?” he asked the waitress. She nodded. He took the cola. I watched as he inscribed something on it.
“ Here, you drink it" and before I could opt he was already by the door. I grabbed the cola and a small smile crept on my face.
“ I would like to have lunch with you if you don’t mind. Call me, he had left his phone number as well.
MARK 'S PROVO
“ She did what?” I asked the private investigator. I had told him to keep at bay while watching ivy but he had violated that agreement.
“ Mark, Ivy was completely wasted last night. What am I supposed to do, let some duch bag sleep with her? Mark-"
“ yes, yes you should have let him do what he deems fit! Clara wanted this! She knew what she was getting her daughter into when she brought that sly deal here !” I raked my hair with my hands. I was beyond frustrated. Reporters were constantly at my door, trying to figure out who the mother of the baby is. Who I was on the verge of tying the knot with.
Things had gone bad to worse. And then London was constantly calling, demanding this or the other. We had agreed it was a mutual understanding based on sex but she had turned that around. She and her friend.
“ I thought you love this girl?” Collins questioned. I sighed
“ I do trust me, I do, but I am human as well, I get weary as well. Clara is threatening to sue, then A keeps crying, I have desks that need my attention and now Ivy_” I sighed.
“ Drugs? She wasn’t like that Collins. She has changed.” It had been hectic without her and now I was seeing her importance apart from the sex.
“ I suggest you take her back and fix things” Collins was tempting me. Only God knew how much I wanted to do that. To have that body underneath me. To look into her eyes and get lost.
“ My hands are tied, just watch over her. Update me every two hours. “ he nodded.