Chp. 4: Town

I wake up and notice everyone is still asleep. I walk out to the bridge and just stand there looking at the water. I hear the bridge creak and I put my hands up in defense in case the person tried attacking me. The person came into the lights and I could see it was Spot. I put my hands down and look back at the water.

"Thank god it's just you."

"And why's that"

"Because I don't actually know how to fight"

"Could've fooled me. Whatcha doin' out 'ere, Princess?" He walks over and stands next to me. I glare at him and he puts his hands up in surrender.

"Ok ok I got it"

"So, nows that yous dress like a newsie... well not right now ya don't" I'm realize I'm still wearing my same pajamas because I forgot to change when I came out.

"Oops, I should go change" I start to walk towards the cabin. Spot grabs my hand and turns me around and pulls me back. I am caught off balance and bump into his chest.

"Sorry" I say, rubbing my forehead.

"Hold on I wanna tell you bout our day" He smiles and I am intrigued. I put my hand down and look at him.

"Our day?"

"If you would stop runnin away from me and listen yous wouldn't be confused"

"Yous is gonna learn how ta be a newsie today" Now I know why he was smiling. I smile too because I finally get to become a newsie.

"When everyone else wakes up yer gonna follow us in ta town and watch me sell papes"

"Wait, just you?"

"Yea, is that a problem" I shake my head and he starts walking away. We go to our separate cabins and I change into my newsie clothes.

I decide to grab his hat to give it back to him. I walk over to his cabin. I've learned where things are around here by now. I've been here about a week. I walk into the cabin and go to his room. The door is closed so I knock.

"Come in" he says. I open the door and see he is sitting on his bed without a shirt on. I was not expecting it. I mean I'm not complaining though. I've never seen such a perfect body before. I stare at his torso for a bit then his voice reminds me what I came here for.

"Ya like what ya see?" He smirks and I shake myself out of it.

"No, I just wasn't expecting it. Don't flatter yourself" He shrugs and I throw him a nearby shirt.

"So why are ya here then" He puts the shirt on and stands up.

"I came to return your hat. I was wearing it when we left town last night and never had the chance to give it back to you." I hold out the hat and he takes it and puts it on.

"Oh yeah, thanks."

"Well I should be leaving now" I turn to walk out and I feel his hand on my shoulder. He turns me around and I look at him

"No, you're goin in ta town ta watch us sell papes" I had completely forgotten so I just stood there like a blundering idiot.

"Right, I forgot. Well I'm ready if you are"

"Then lets go" We walk out of his room and we get a few stares from the other boys. Spot dismisses them into town and we meet with the other Brooklyn newsies and start heading into town.

Along the way Spot and I talk a bit. I am finally introduced to my bunk mate Jess, who is actually a girl. We break off from the rest of them. It starts to make sense why we had a different room and bathroom.

"So what's it like being the only girl newsie?" I hadn't seen any other girls and there was no one else in our room so I assumed she was the only one.

"I actually ain't the only girl newsie in Brooklyn" That's confusing because I don't see any other girls. Just a bunch of boys.

"Where? Does she live in the house with everyone else?"

"Yep. She's standin' right over there" She points to a pair of boys talking. Before I ask her where she is I finally realize it. She's dressed up as a guy.

"She's dressed like a guy and I'm the only one who knows, well, we're the only ones who know"

"Why dress up as a boy, boys are disgusting" I say. We both laugh and quickly quiet down when boys start looking at us.

"Except Nick" She says quietly. Just barely enough for me to hear and no one else.

"Oooh who's Nick" I say in a sing~songy voice.

"He's the leader of the Queens newsies" She blushes and starts to tell me about him.

"He has dirty blonde hair and green eyes. And he's soooo hot"

"Are you guys dating or something?" I ask.

"Oh my god no I wish! Why would he pick me, he has all those beautiful Queens girls" She starts to look sad so I decide to cheer her up.

"What do you mean?! Your drop dead gorgeous" I wrap my arm around her shoulder. I can tell it makes her feel better.

"Thanks, but no one else thinks that" I highly doubt that. I tap on the boy in front of us.

"Hey you, is Jess gorgeous?" I wink at him and turn my head to notion to jess and he gets the message.

"Yer smokin hot Jess. I'd date ya but we're best buds" I mouth thank you to him and I turn to Jess and she's beaming.

"Told ya" I flip my hair and we laugh.

"We's here" Spot yells.

———————————————————————————
So I added a GIF for the chapter image but i'm not sure if it worked. If it didn't let me know and I will just change it to a picture