Chp. 35: Dentons Betrayal

Denton walks in and some newsies say hello. David and I are looking at the newspaper and exchange glances when we see him. Denton walks over to us with a smile on his face. When he sees my face he immediately stops smiling.

"Mind tellin us why the Sun didn't print the story?" I push the newspaper down in front of him and raise my eyebrows at him.

"Because it never happened"

"Whadda ya mean it ain't neva happened you was there" Race says.

"Yeah Race is right" Skittery says.

"If it's not in the papers it never happened"

"Bullshit" I stand up and shove the newspaper into Dentons chest.

"My owners decreed that it not be in the papers, therefore" He says, implying that he couldn't put it in the papers. He looks at David then at me.

"Anyway I just came to tell you fellas goodbye" Unbelievable. After everything he did he's just gonna leave us.

"What happened did ya get fired or something" David speaks up for the first time. He's concerned and I can't imagine why.

"No I was reassigned back to my old job as the Sun's ace war correspondent"

"Serves ya right" Denton looks at me.

"I'm just saying yous didn't deserve your job if your not gonna print the important things. And yous definitely didn't deserve our trust"

"I'm sorry you feel that way but I didn't have a choice. The owner thinks that I should only cover the really important stories" David sits down again and I can tell he's mad and betrayed at the same time. It's exactly what I'm feeling.

"And you said we's was an important story"

"You were, I mean you are but~"

"But it doesn't matter. Cause big boss man says somethin and that's what we outta do"

"That's exactly what we're trying ta change here"

"I~"

"Save it. You should leave" David says.

"This is the story I wrote about the rally" Denton hands David a piece of paper.

"And I want you, both of you" He looks at me.

"To read it"

David takes the paper and crumples it up. Denton leaves Tibbys and everyone looks at David.

"We's get Jack out of the refuge tonight" He says.

"And from now on we's trust no one but the newsies" I pat him on the back and give him a side hug. All the newsies cheer.

"I told ya so. I's neva trusted em from the beginnin"

"Yeah yeah. So yous comin ta get Jack tonight"

"I'd neva miss it"

"Come on get the lead outta yer pants" Race says and all the newsies start leaving. I have no idea what that means but I step out of Tibbys too.
~~~~
David, Les, Race, Mush, Boots, Kid Blink, and I are at the refuge to save Jack. I'm getting a strong sense of deja vu. We sneak past behind a carriage and hide behind a bush.

"That's where we saw Crutchy" David points at the familiar window. A whistle blows and we all duck behind the bushes. I look where it came from and see Jack with Snyder.

"It's Jack It's Jack" Les moves towards Jack and I quickly grab him.

"Shh shh shh" I shush him and take him behind the bushes.

A carriage comes into view and Jack gets into it with Snyder.

"Where they takin em Camryn?"

"There's one way ta find out" Mush looks at me and doesn't look convinced. Before I can say something else David does.

"I'll meet you guys at the square"

David starts taking off but I grab his hand. He looks back at me.

"What?"

"Whatever yous doin your not goin alone"

"Ya wanna come?"

"Hell yeah this is Jack we's talkin about"

"Alright follow me then" I wave goodbye to the other newsies and David and I take off to go rescue Jack.