Chp. 27: Joining the Strike

*still Jess perspective*

"Hey Sir" I tap one of the guards on the shoulder. I chose this one because he's dumber than the rest.

"Where is Mr. Brown. He's requested ta see me"

"What for"

"He uh he's got some mail for me"

"Oh ok. His office is down this hall second door on the right" I tip my hat and start walking. I can't believe he fell for that.

"Thanks mista" I start running and I'm already out of the building before he realizes what happened. I stare around for a bit to find the quickest way to Brooklyn. I find a path and start running. I quickly stuff my hair into my cap and make myself look tough. Can't have them catching me. The bulls run right past me and I roll my eyes. Dumbasses.

I finally get to Brooklyn and see the familiar docks and Spot on his crates like usual.

"Where ya goin boy"

"Oh Spot yous wouldn't turn me away now wouldja" I take off my hat and walk over to the crates.

"I'm back baby"

"Where the hell have you been" He hops down from the crates and walks over to me. I thought he would've been happy to see me but I guess not.

"I was in the orphanage" I look down at my feet avoiding his gaze.

"I's got caught out late at night. I'm real sorry"

"Sorry don't cut it"

"Spot I~"

"Just get outta here" I start to walk to my cabin but then remember. I turn around and face him.

"No"

"Excuse me?"

"I have somethin yous gonna wanna hear"

"I don't want your excuses Jess"

"Camryn is in Manhattan"

"What?"

"Camryn is in Manhattan" I shrug my shoulders.

"Camryn like, Camryn Camryn?"

"Yes Spot, the Camryn yous got a crush on"

"I don't~" He starts getting flustered.

"Save it I know ya like her" He scratches the back of his neck.

"Is it that obvious"

"No Camryn just told me everythin that's happened between you guys" He shoots me a glare and I can't help but laugh.

"How do you know she's there"

"I saw her with Jack Kelly and some guy named Davey"

"Oh" He looks back at the river.

"Not like that. Theys was rescuin someone from the refuge"

"I's gonna guess she's a newsie with Jack" Something seems to click in his mind because his face lights up.

"I met her as a newsie. She was a boy and goes by Cam"

"Whoa that's different. How'd ya know it's her"

"He looked familiar but I's didn't know where. It all makes sense now"

"So theys didn't make the same mistake" I mutter under my breath.

"What?"

"Nothin, I'm gonna go get some sleep" I turn around to look him in the eyes one last time.

"But if yous go after her and hurt her" Spot turns to face me too.

"You'll regret it"

*Spot perspective*

"You'll regret it" Jess walks away and I'm alone on the docks again. I sit myself back up on top of my crates.

I think about everything from Camryn to the strike.

Camryn has been in Manhattan this whole time and never told me. What did she think I was gonna do? I mean yeah it hurt me to find out she was lying to me but honestly, I don't think I've met a newsie that doesn't have secrets. It's weird not having her around.

I miss her.

I truly do. And I don't want to admit it, but I like her. As more than a friend or a newsie. Maybe I even love her. I've never been in love. Whatever it is I guess Jess knew that too. The only thing I'm thinking of is that I've got to see her again. And there's only one way to do that.

Camryn is one of the leaders of the strike which means she is gonna be there if Brooklyn joins. I have my reasons for not joining. Manhattan's weak, it's dangerous getting into business with them, we wouldn't be selling papes and making money, and of course we would be going on strike. I just don't think they're strong enough to stand up to the bulls.

Then again with Camryn and Jack at the top of it all it can't be too bad. And that Davey guy doesn't seem too bad. Pulitzer and Hearst need to learn that we have rights too. We're not just some street rats starving to make money. Well we are but not like that. This may be the only way to get their attention.

And now I have an advantage over Camryn. She just can't know that I know her secret. What the hell, let's do it.

Brooklyn's joining the strike.