Chp. 20: Suspicion

~later that night~

*Race perspective*

I hear a knock at the door.

"You wanna get it Race?" Jack asks me from across the room. Most of the newsies have already settled in for the night.

"Nah I's busy" I'm standing at the mirror looking at my arms. I've been trying to build up some muscle to impress the ladies. Jack walks over to the door and then at me.

"But yous standin right ere" He motions to the mere 2 feet between me and the door.

"Well I said I's busy" I turn back to the handsome man staring back at me in the mirror.

"Whatever" Jack opens it and I see Camryn standing there.

"Hey Cam how ya doin"

"Good can I talk ta you" She sounds sort of worried but it's probably nothing.

"Uhm yeah what about"

"Somewhere private please" I stare at Camryn and Jack who scans the room and his eyes finally land on me. I quickly look away.

"Yeah let's talk out here" They walk out into the hallway and close the door behind them. I try and listen the best I can through the door but I don't think I catch all of it.

"We need ta go to Brooklyn" Camryn says.

"What? Why? Ain't that dangerous"

"I need ta get ma stuff. I only brought the clothes on ma back wit me from Brooklyn"

"Goin 2 times in a day? Yous really wanna get caught don't ya"

"Theys ain't gonna see us I promise"

"And what if they do" Whoa. Are they a thing? That's unexpected.

"They won't"

"You don't know that"

"Neither do you. If we're caught we'll figure it out"

I open the door and stand there staring at them. I'm gonna get to the bottom of this.

(fyi the bold is what he didn't  hear)
*Camryn perspective*

I am talking with Jack when the door to the newsies room swings open. Race is standing their with his arms crossed and a mad look on his face.

"Race what's wrong" His face doesn't change when I talk to him but he loosens up a bit.

"You guys are whats wrong" I look at Jack and he looks back at me with the same confused look.

"What are you talking bout"

"I'm talking about you guys goddammit!"

"Race calm down and tell us what's wrong"

"How could you not tell me you guys were a thing!" Race is full on shouting now. I pull Race farther into the hallway and Jack closes the door.

"It's not what you think" Jack says.

"Then what is it"

"Long story short I didn't just pop up I used ta be a Brooklyn newsie and Spot and I were... friends. My mom came lookin for me and I left and ended up here. Which is why I needed ta disguise meself. Jack is the only one who knows so he's helpin me wit somethin"

"Whoa whoa whoa slow down. Your from BROOKLYN" Of everything I said that's what he's surprised about?

"Keep ya voice down but yeah"

"And what yous hearin is me and Jack plannin ta go get me stuff from ma room in Brooklyn tonight"

"Well then I'm coming with"

"Your what?"

"I'm coming with you"

"But~"

"And that's final. I'm going"

"Ugh fine"

"So what's the plan Brooklyn"

"Ok Race yous gonna distract and Jack is gonna come wit me"

"Wait what did you call me" I look at Race and he looks everywhere but my eyes.

"Brooklyn"

"But why"

"Cuz you're from Brooklyn. I'm callin ya that from now on"

"And if you call me that it won't be obvious at all that I's from ere"

"Ok so how's about Brookie"

"Are you kidding me what kinda name is Brookie"

"So that's a no. What about Brooks"

"Brooks" I repeat the name and think it through.

"I like it"

"Sounds great Brooklyn" I glare at Race and he smiles.

"Guys let's worry about nicknames later. We's gotta get this done"