Chp. 21: Busy Night

"Ok so everyone knows the plan?" They both nod.

"Good"

"Didn't you say yous had a roommate?" Shit I forgot about Jess.

"Ok so if she's there than you can distract her"

"She'll know who I am though"

"What if I do it?" Race says.

"That could work. Jack could tell Spot he's gotta talk ta him about the strike and stuff"

"And if yer roommate is there I'll tell her Spot needs her ta do somethin" I nod my head as I see a plan starting to come together.

"Sounds like we've got a plan. It's go time.

Jack walks up to the docks and starts talking to Shoots. In the meantime Race and I are hanging onto the poles holding up the docks.

"Hey fellas. Spot around here?"

"Yeah I'll go get em. Mick you stay here" I don't want to be mean but Mick isn't the smartest guy I've ever met. They go over to a side of the bridge and Jack gives us the signal. Race and I get onto the docks and walk right in. Easy. I dust myself off and we head to my cabin.

We sneak into the cabin from the window in the bathroom. It was really small but luckily we were able to fit. We hide behind the bathroom door so none sees us.

"Dang these cabins are pretty noice"

"Yeah they are. I miss em"

"Then go back"

"You know I ain't able to Race" He nods and I peek through the crack in the door and see that Jess isn't there.

"Stay here, I'm gonna grab my stuff" I go into the room and quickly grab everything. I'm surprised Jess hadn't packed it away yet. My stuff takes up a lot of the room. I shove it into the bag then I think of something.

I look around for a piece of paper so I can write her a note. Race pops his head out from the door.

"What are you doing!" He whisper yells at me and I glare at him. He puts his hands up in defeat and goes back behind the door. I finally find a piece of paper and grab a nearby pencil. I write a note.

Thanks for the stuff. I love you and miss you ~C

I shove it onto her nightstand and head back to Race. We try shoving the bag through the window but it's too big.

"It'll have ta go through the front" I look at Race with a crazy expression.

"Are you crazy we'll get caught"

"Not if I go. Theys probably all asleep and they'll just think I'm one of them if they're awake. I'll hide ma face"

"I don't wanna put you in danger"

"Don't worry I'll be ok" He grabs my hand and squeezes it. He leaves and goes through the front and I go back through the window. I head to the front but Race isn't here. Uh oh. I find a window and peak my head through. Oh no.

He's sitting there talking to Jess. She looks suspiciously at him and I can tell he's getting nervous. They keep talking back and forth but then Race points towards the door. Jess nods and walks towards the front. Aka right where I'm standing.

I look around but can't find anything to hide. And shes right at the door. I quickly open the window and climb through it. This one is a lot bigger. I stumble through and fall onto the ground with a hard bang. Race notices and opens his eyes wide. Then he quickly looks right back to the front.

"Sorry, I's pretty clumsy" He says. After a few seconds he starts moving towards me.

"Are you crazy? She could've seen you"

"Dummy I's went in her so she wouldn't see me" He helps me off the ground and we peak around the corner. We watch Jess turn left towards Spot's cabin, which is luckily the opposite way of the bridge.

We nod and quickly sneak back to where Jack is. He's talking to Spot now so all 4 of them are there. I try and get Jacks attention but it doesn't work.

I quickly grab a giant rock and chuck it into the river. The longer I stay here the more likely I am to be caught. They all look towards the water and Race and I quickly move behind some boxes. They are right in front of us so I'm not sure how we're gonna get through.

I throw another rock but this time on the other side of the river. They all go over to the side of the docks and look at the water.

"What's happenin Spot, yous got water trolls now?" Classic Jack. Any chance he can insult Spot he does.

"I'll get a closer look" Mick walks closer to the edge and he "magically" trips and falls face first into the water. Spot and Shoots go down to the water to try and help him. Race, Jack, and I sneak past them and onto the bridge. We walk it like nothing strange happened.

"What did you talk to Spot about"

"You, actually"

"Me? Why? Does he know?" I start breathing heavy and getting flustered.

"Calm down, he's don't know anything. He just wondered where the new boy came from"

"And what did you tell em"

"That yous turned up on the streets of Hattan and we's took you in as a newsie"

"Ok good, you didn't tell him the truth"

"Actually I did" I give him a death glare and he just waves me off.

"That is the truth. Maybe not all of it but that is exactly what happened"

"Ok I forgive you"

"Geez Brooklyn what do yous got in here" We turn our attention to Race who is still carrying my bag. What a nice guy.

"The essentials"

"This bag weighs like 20 pounds" Race hands me the bag and he's not wrong.

"Like I's said, the essentials" They both look at me and we all laugh.
—————————————————————————-
So sorry for the late update 😭. But I want to thank spotconlonskey for commenting about how much they love the story. Thank you so much they make my day!