Chp. 18: Denton

"Say Jack I'll take Harlem" Kid Blink says. Then everyone else starts volunteering and the places start flying away. Race, Mush, and Crutchy volunteer for Midtown, Bowery, and The Bronx. Then Jack start assigning people to Queens and Eastside.

"So what about Brooklyn" He yells at the crowd. They're dead silent.

"Who wants Brooklyn" He tries again. Still nothing.

"Spot Conlon's territory. What's that matter, yous scared of Brooklyn?"

"Hey we ain't scared of Brooklyn. Spot Conlon makes us a little nervous" Are you kidding me? Spot is like the least intimidating person ever.

"Well he's don't make me nervous" Someone's gotta say it so why not me.

"Thanks toots" He gives me a high five.

"So you and me Cam we'll go ta Brooklyn"

"And Dave and Boots can keep us company" I say. I look at Davey and he's not looking too happy at me.

"Right Dave? Boots" I'm kinda second guessing volunteering them.

"Sure. As soon as you take our demands ta Pulitzer" I think my jaw drops but it may just be in my imagination.

"Mr Pulitzer?" I point at the door standing in front of us.

"And Jack, you guys are the leaders after all"

"Ya wanna go?" He looks up at me and I nod.

"Let's do this" We walk in but he forgot i'm on his shoulders so my head hits the door and I start to fall backwards. Luckily David got there and stopped me from falling.

"Thanks Dave"

"No problem"

"Sorry kid"

"It's ok Jack. I's should get down anyway" I got off his shoulder and we finally go in. We walk in and I see a man at the desk.

"We're here ta see Mr Pulitzer" I say in a nice tone trying to be as friendly as I can.

"You can't see Mr Pulitzer, No one sees Mr Pulitzer" He says all snooty back to us. I look at Jack and he looks back.

"Look man I's not in the habit of transacting no business with office boys" Damn Jacks got a mouth when he wants.

"Yeah we's just wanna have a word with em" He gets up from his desk and comes over to us angrily.

"Just tell him Jack Kelly and Cam Menken are here ta see him now!" Then he throws us out. What a dick.

"You tell Pulitzer he needs an appointment wit us!" I yell as he kicks us out. That didn't last long.

"That went well"

"The best" Jack responds to my sarcasm. We turn around and EVERYONE is looking at us. Even some fancy guy with a cool top hat. David comes up to us when we finally regain our composure.

"How'd it go"

"Well~"

"Hi I'm Bryan Denton. I'm with the New York Sun. Your pal David told me all about what you guys are doing" I can't believe he just interrupted me. Rude.

I look at him and the resemblance is crazy.

"Hey that's real nice and all but I's tryna talk to my friend so it'll be nice if yous could scooch" He doesn't move so I stand in front of him so now David's looking at me.

"So~" I'm cut off again.

"I wanna write about the strike. Mind telling me about it over a meal?"

"We would love to Mr Denton" Jack puts his hand out and Denton shakes it. Guess that would be a yes. Ugh.

~~~~

"So this real snooty mug says to us "You can't see Mr Pulitzer, No one sees Mr Pulitzer" I agreed to go eat lunch with Denton as long as I didn't have to talk. They talk for like forever and I think it's never gonna end.

"All right, keep me informed" He hands a business card to David.

"Are we really an important story?" David asks Denton as he packs up to leave.

"Well what's important? Last year I covered the war in Cuba, charged up San Juan Hill with Colonel Teddy Roosevelt. That was a very important story"

"Is the newsies strike important? That all depends on you lot" He gets up and leaves the table and out the door.

"So my name's really gonna be in the papers?" Jack says to the left of me.

"Any objections?"

"Not as long as you get it right. Kelly, Jack Kelly"

"Oh and Denton? No pictures" Everyone looks at me like I'm crazy.

"Yeah I's speak big deal" I hadn't spoken a single word at all while we were eating.

"Sure"

Denton leaves and it's just the 4 of us left. We finish eating and get ready to head to Brooklyn.

"What's yer problem with him" David says as he turns and looks me in the eye.

"Nothing I's just don't like him"

"Oh come on Cam we all know that ain't the reason"

"Yeah it is"

"No it's not" Jack grabs my shoulders and says something loud enough for only me to hear.

"I's told you bout ma parents, you owe me"

"Later" Hopefully that'll get them off my back because I don't plan on telling them.

"Yeah that's the reason" David stands up and bangs the table.

"Oh come on Jack what'd she tell you?!"

"Nothing drop it"

"Let's just head ta Brooklyn guys"

———————————————————————————
Alright so I know this chapter kinda sucks but bear with me the next one is good. I hope you guys are liking the story because I really enjoy writing it. If you guys have anyone in mind you want me to write a fanfic about just comment or dm me and i'll try to do it!