Chp. 15: The Boys

"3 new boys in 2 days, nice goin Jack" says a blonde boy in the back. He has an eye patch on too. Weird.

"Yeah yeah Kid I knows" The boy looks really old to have a nickname Kid but who knows. Jack leans down and whispers in my ear.

"And one more thing" I look at him and then look back at the boys.

"Make ya voice lower" Wow. And I thought it was gonna be something important. I look at him and roll my eyes.

"Nice ta meet ya boys" Some of them nodded and a few said some stuff.

"Let me introduce you"

"Sounds good Jack"

Jack introduced me to Mush, Skittery, Crutchy, Boots, Kid Blink, and Racetrack, who I'd already met. I had to spit shake with all of them. I'll get used to it, it's just awkward right now. I didn't have time to meet the others because we had to get to the distribution window to start selling. If selling here is anything like in Brooklyn then I'm not gonna sell many papes.

We walk out of the boarding house and into the streets. I'm waking along Jack because he's the only one I really know. Race comes up next to me and walks by me. He grabs my arm and we stop.

"How ya doin Cam"

"Hey Race"

"Last time I met you yous was a goil. What happened"

"Oh uh well Mr Kloppman said I's ain't able ta be a goil newsie. He said it was gonna get me beaten up"

"Oh yeah guess he's told you bout Jess" Jess? I wonder where that sounds familiar from. Oh yeah MY BEST FRIEND.

"Who?"

"Oh yeah there used ta be a goil newsie. Her name was Jess. She was out selling one day and some guys came and beat her up. Put her in the hospital too"

"Wow, does anyone know where she is now"

"Nah she ran away from the hospital and neva came back"

"Oh" I wonder if that really was my Jess. There's no way right? I mean it would sort of make sense I guess.

"Hey you ok" Race snaps in front of my face.

"Uhm yeah just thinkin"

"Word of advice, guys don't think"

"No wonder yous so stupid"

"Just cuz yous actin like a boy i's still gonna treat ya like a little sista" He gives me a nuggie and I unsuccessfully try to get out of it. I've only known him for really a few hours but I can tell we're gonna be best friends.

"Hey Race how old are you" He stops and let's go of my head.

"15"

"Dang yous actually are older than me" Before he can respond someone yells at us.

"You guys comin or what"

"Welcome to the home of the newsies" Race says. It's a really nice distribution center. It's got gates and everything. I leave Race and go find Jack.

"Hey Jack I's gonna look for David and Les to let em know the situation" He pats me on the back.

"Go get em kid" I look around for David in the mess of the newsies and finally see him in the corner talking with one of the newsies.

"Hey uhm" I can't believe I forgot his name.

"Mush" He says.

"Oh yeah sorry. Can I's steal David for a second"

"Ya mean ol Davey over ere. Sure thing take em"

"Wait, you know David?" Shit I forgot I haven't technically met him yet.

"We's met last night" Before Mush can say anything I grab David's arm and pull him away from everyone so we can talk privately.

"Who are you" David says.

"Cam"

"Still not ringing a bell"

"Well actually me name is Camryn, we's met last night" He still looks really confused.

"I'm a girl" Those 3 words seemed to trigger something in his brain.

"Oh yeah!" He pulls me into a hug.

"But why do you look like a boy"

"Cuz there ain't any goil newsies"

"That makes no sense but ok"

"It's for ma safety. But from now on yous met me on the streets last night and I's a boy newsie"

"Im a pretty good actor I can do that"

"Imagine acting like a different gender"

"Yeah tough luck dude"

"Thanks. Now show me how ta sell"
~~~~
I had planned on having David show me the ropes but then he said Jack would be a better person to do that.

"I'll take 20" I give him my money and the guy at the stand hands me 20 papes. I'm assuming this is the same as in Brooklyn so I automatically hate this guy.

"Thanks ya big oaf" I walk down to where Jack was sitting on the stairs.

"Nice one Cam" Crutchy gives me a high five.

"Thanks Crutchy" I've gotten to know all of the boys names since this morning. Took some time but I got it

"Ugh same story as yesteaday" Jack says as I sit down between him and Race.

"Baby born with 2 heads. Must be from Brooklyn" That earns some laughs from the guys.

"Don't talk about Brooklyn like that" I get up and storm off. Some of the guys look at me while I walk by and I just glare at them. I look through the paper and find the baby story. It's actually not even from New York. It was born in Jersey. No surprise there.

"Hey what happened over there" I hear someone say behind me. I turn around and see Jack.

"You know I's from Brooklyn"

"Yeah well Race don't"

"It don't matter" I turn back around to face away from him. He taps my shoulder and I turn back around.

"What" I give him a death stare hoping he'll drop it but he doesn't.

"Cut his some slack"

"I'll think about it"

"Well let's go sell while you do" Finally. I've been waiting to sell papes for a long time. I may not be any good at it but I still love it. This is my first time selling without Spot so I hope I don't suck like usual.

"Fine let's go"