Chp. 6: First Day

We walk back in silence. He won't admit it but I can tell he's mad. We're walking a few feet away from each other, more than usual.

"What's up with you?" I ask him in a stern tone. I'm mad at him for being upset. It wasn't something I did right?

"Nothing" He's still not looking at me. I walk a little faster and stop in front of him. I cross my arms and stare at him. He moves to the left and I move with him.

"I'm not moving until you tell me" He moves to the right and I move again.

"Seriously?"

"Yes. Now tell me what's wrong"

"Is just don't like ya wandering off. Brooklyn's a dangerous place" He doesn't look at me.

"Ok" I move back next to him, closer than we were before.

We walk back to the cabins in silence. I try to fall asleep but it doesn't seem to work. My mind is racing with thoughts about Nick. Why was he here? How long has he been here? How did I not know? And of course thinking about Spot. What could he possibly be mad at.

~~~~

"Hey"

"Aye, ya ready ta start ya first day as a newsie?"

"You know it"

We walk over to the counter and get in line for our "papes".

Spot gets his usual 100 and I get 20. We walk to his selling spot. He starts selling his pretty quickly. I wander away from him a bit so I can sell too. I start yelling headlines and about 2 people buy a newspaper.

"How many have ya sold, Princess" Spot walks over to me and looks at my stack

"14" I say with a big smile on my face. I'm almost done with my stack. He's not smiling so I quickly drop it.

"How about you?"

"All done" He puts his hands up with no newspapers and I see he has in fact sold all his.

"How did you sell that fast?" I ask amazed. I thought I was doing pretty good but I guess not.

"Give me those" He takes my papes and starts yelling headlines. I'm not sure how but in a matter of minutes he sells what was left of mine.

"Whoa" I am honestly amazed. I must be really bad at this.

"Let's go ta The Hub" He grabs my hand and we go to a restaurant by the bridge. We walk inside and see some newsies already there. He quickly lets go of my hand and we sit down at a booth with the newsies. The only ones I know are Jess and Shoots. Shoots has opened up to me a bit now that I'm a newsie.

"2 orders of fries please" Spot shouts at the waiter. The waiter brings over some fries and we eat and talk with some newsies.

Jess pulls me aside.

"What was that" She asks. She has the biggest smile ever plastered on her face.

"What was what?" I give a look that says I'm confused. She rolls her eyes.

"Yous and Spot was holding hands"

"No, no we weren't" I can feel my cheeks getting red and I look away from her.

"I can still see ya face. Do you like em?" I look at her and think for a second. I've never really thought of liking him like that. I knew he was pretty much my boss and one of my only friends, but did I really like him? I think I do. Realization comes across my face.

I like Spot Conlon, like like.

"Yeah, I think I do" She hugs me and starts talking about how happy and excited she is. I just kinda laugh at how involved she is.

"Why do you care so much?" She points to herself and mocks a hurt face. I laugh.

"Cause like every goil likes him. And I's mean EVERY goil" She stresses the word every very clearly.

"I think yous got a chance" She says matter~of~factly.

"You do?" I lean in closer and we talk a bit quieter.

"I've neva seen em look at a girl like he looks at you. Not even the girls at the private schools." That must mean a lot because, as a girl who went to a private school I know how they are with all their makeup and fancy hair that makes them look like barbies.

"Aww thanks" I blow her a kiss and we both laugh and walk back to the rest.

"I'm gonna head out, see you at the lodging" I grab my stuff and walk back to the lodging houses.