Chp. 16: The Newsie Way (Manhattan Edition)

Selling lightened my mood a lot and I felt really good after.

"Can I ask yous somethin"

"Yeah of course Jack"

"Why'd ya only get 20 papes. I thought ya said yous was a newsie before"

"I was. But I was neva good at sellin papes"

"Really? I's could teach ya if you want"

"Really?! That would be the best thing ever" I give him the biggest hug ever. I'm gonna learn from the Jack Kelly.

"Take these 5 and i's gonna watch you sell them"

"Ok" He hands me five papers from his stack. I'd already read through them so I knew what to advertise.

"Trolley Strike continues" I wave the paper in the air but no one comes to buy any.

"First thing, you outta pick good stories ta sell"

"I's thought that was a good story"

"Nah yous gotta look for key words"

"Like what"

"Well maniac, corpse, lovenest" I'm mentally trying to write them down but eventually give up. Ok so catchy words.

"Oh nude is always a good one" Nude? Good grief.

"So which story should I use"

"He flips through the pages a bit and lands on the baby story" Great.

"This one" He points to it and I nod.

"Baby born wit 2 heads from Jersey" A nice old lady comes over to me and buys 1.

"Good but try tweakin it a bit"

"Tweakin? Whadda you mean"

"Well improvin the truth"

"So lying?" I look him in the eyes and he looks away.

"Well sorta"

"Ok I'll try"

"Baby born wit 3 heads from" Oh god I can't believe I'm about to say this.

"Brooklyn"

People come over and I sell my last four quickly.

"Nice job Cam. Yous a natural born newsie"

"Thanks but it was all you"

"Aww I'm blushing stop it"

He ruffles my hair and I put my arm around his shoulder which is a lot taller than me so it's a stretch but it's ok. We head back to the rest of the newsies.

"So I'm gonna assume Mr. Weasel is someone we make fun of right"

"He's real names Wisel"

"That answered ma question" We all walk back to the lodge. I say goodbye to the newsies and head into the back room. Jack, Mr Kloppman and I though it would be best if I stayed in that room. The boys would definitely find out I was a girl if I slept with the rest of them.

I don't know how that one girl in Brooklyn did it so easily. If i'm being honest I'm really scared people are gonna find out I'm a fake. I unwrap myself and take a deep breath. This is even worse than a corset. And those things are pure medieval torture devices. Now that I'm comfortable I can finally fall asleep. Hopefully tomorrow will be easier.
~~~~
"They jacked up the price!"

"Did ya hear that Jack?"Jack and I are just now getting into the square. We look at Kid Blink who is steaming mad.

"10 cents a hundred!" Whoa what?! No way.

"Ya know, it's bad enough that we's gotta eat what we don't sell" He's got a point. It's stupid to jack up the price for us.

"Now they jacked up the price! Can you belie that!" Unbelievable. I look at Jack and I can see the tiniest bit of worry and fear in his eyes.

"This'll bust me I'm barely makin a living right now" Skittery says. Most of us barely got enough money to go get a root beer from Tibbys.

"I'll be back sleepin on the streets"

"That don't make no sense, I mean all the money Pulitzers making why would he gouge us?"

"Yeah I'm with Mush. Why'd he hurt us?" Mush looks at me and gives me a nod.

"He's a tightwad that's why" Race says as he walks over to me.

"It don't make no sense!" I yell.

"Keep it down it's just a gag" I really hope Jacks right. If not then what're we gonna do. Jack goes over to Mr. Wisel and leans over to talk to him.

"So why the jack up Weisel" I can tell Jacks scared but he's putting on a good act for these kids.

"Why not" Wisel sticks his finger in his mouth then holds it up.

"It's a nice day" Jack walks away from the booth but then Mr Wisel says something.

"Why dontcha ask Mr. Pulitzer"

"Hey Jack" I wave him over to Race and me.

"They's can't do this to us Jack"

"They's can do whateva they want it's their stupid paper"
———————————————————————————
I don't know if you noticed but the title of this chapter is the same as the chapter when she goes with Spot for her "first day" as a newsie. Except this one is Manhattan edition and I thought that was a cute thing. Happy reading! Please vote and comment it really makes my day.