Chp. 31: Mind of its Own

I hear a loud bang then I feel myself falling. Well this is a weird dream. I open my eyes and see that I'm face down on the floor. Oh, it wasn't a dream. Then my head starts to throb. I must have hit it.

I turn over onto my back and see everyone staring down at me. Oh great. Everyone is laughing at me. I look over to my left and see Skittery with a pan and a spatula.

"What the hell Skid? Did yous have ta wake me up military style" I motion to the objects in Skittery's hand.

"Oh these. Just me special touch"

"That's one way ta see it"

*Crutchy perspective*

I walk down the halls to Mr Snyder's office to collect his meal like always. I am about to knock on his door when I see an unfamiliar face. It's an older woman with hazel eyes and blondish hair. She looks a little bit like Camryn. She is talking with Snyder about something. I can hear them a little bit but not enough to make out words. They are looking at a newspaper and pointing at something.

Mr Snyder finally sees me and I walk in.

"Heya Mr Snyder! How was ya supper" He doesn't say anything and I walk over to his desk. The older lady is in my way.

"Who's ya lady friend Mr Snyder?"

"Someone who hired me ta find someone" I was actually surprised to hear him talk to me since he usually just scoffs.

The lady moves out of the way and I reach to pick up Snyder's plate. I notice the newspaper they were looking at.

"Hey that's Jack" I see him in the middle of the picture.

"Oh look that's Camryn too" I point to Camryn's picture.

"They look just like theyselves"

"You know this boy?"

"You know this girl?" Both of the adults ask me at the same time.

Snyder looks at me and I start panicking.

"No. Nah" He starts walking towards me and I turn the other way to see the lady.

"And what about the girl. Camryn you said" The older lady looks at me too now.

"Well ma'am she goes by Cam since she's actin like a boy" Dang it Crutchy shut your mouth.

"I knew that was her! I told you"

"She always used ta dress up like a boy when she was younger" What the heck is she talking about? How does she know Cam?

"Back to the boy" Snyder turns me around to look at him.

"You have a famous friend, this Jack"

"Do you know where he lives"

"I neva heard of em honest" I look at the woman and tell her as well.

"Either of them" Neither look like their buying it but I had to try.

"It's this brain of mine. It's always making mistakes. It's got a mind of its own" Snyder looks at me and I back away and grab his tray.

"Can I get ya anythin else, Mr Snyder" I keep my head down and he puts the newspaper down in front of me. I start to tear up because I can't believe I just ratted them out.

"Goodbye Mr Snyder" My voice comes out all strained. I leave his office and go back to my room. How could I have been so stupid. Why couldn't I have just taken his tray and left. Why did I have to rat out Jack and Camryn.

If Snyder is looking for them, that's bad. Really bad. And who was that woman he was with. She said that she knew Camryn when she was younger. And she looked like her too.

Oh my god.

That's her mom.

I just met Camryn's mom.