Chapter 18

Miguel met us at my apartment building with his lips pressed into a thin line. Worry filled his gaze, but relief flickered through his expression when he saw that both of us were alive. "Abram and Antonio are keeping the receptionist busy while we take him up," he said.

I pressed my lips into a thin line and nodded. "The cameras?" I asked, knowing full well that there were cameras near the front entrance and then near the elevators.

"They are showing the empty hallways," Miguel said. "They won't show us taking the stairs to take him to your room."

I nodded relieved. "Good," I said. "Ghost and I will continue to carry him." I moved a bit so he could get my key from my bag. "Can you open the door?"

Miguel looked guilty for some reason, and I raised an eyebrow in question. He reached into his pocket and pulled out his keys. "I made a copy of your key," he said, switching it to the one that had a similar outline to mine.

I bit back a sigh and rolled my eyes, annoyed. "Of course you did," I said with a grumble. "Ok, then you can use your key to my apartment. Now, let's get a move on because I know that we are running out of time."

Miguel nodded and walked ahead of Ghost and me. His whole body was tense, and I knew that he was scared of losing his Alpha to those... creatures.

There was a weight on his shoulders, and I knew that he felt guilty for not telling his Alpha that they knew about the creatures.

Frederick stared at Miguel while we walked past him, and his eyes stayed on him. He said something to the older male that had him flinching and ducking his head in shame.

"Frederick," I warned, and the Alpha turned his gaze to me. I scowled and pressed my lips into a thin line. "Don't give them shit. I already told you that they were doing it to protect me and make sure that I would still live here."

Frederick grunted but didn't say another word. He tried to keep his face blank, but I knew that he was in pain, the poison slowly killing him even with his healing abilities.

Miguel patted my shoulder when I walked through the door. He didn't say a word, but I knew that he was worried about me, and I was too.

I had no idea where I was going to live now that Frederick knew I was different. However, I knew that I was going to have to worry about that later, especially since I was the only one that could save his life.

Hopefully, he would allow me to stay... I didn't know how I'll survive without my family...

***

Miguel led us to my room and opened the door. He stayed silent while he walked in, followed by Ghost and me with Ms. Lowell trailing behind.

"Get a blanket and lay it on the floor," I said, and Miguel nodded and quickly did what I told him to do.

"What do you need me to do?" Ms. Lowell asked, cracking the door so that the other two men could come in.

"I don't know yet," I said and walked over to the place where Miguel had placed the blanket. "I am having to figure this out as I go." I set Fredrick onto the blanket with Ghost helping me.

"But he will survive this, right?"

I didn't reply and moved over to my bookcase. My heart was pounding hard in my chest, and I prayed that he would survive this.

"Clover?" Ms. Lowell asked while I pushed the bookcase away to show the secret door.

"I am playing it by ear," I said and opened the door. I pulled the chest out of the hole and let go as soon as it was clear. I opened the chest and started to shuffle through it, trying to keep the panic from consuming my brain.