Chapter 22

I didn't stay long in the shower and was done in about ten minutes. I grabbed a towel and started to dry off, staying in the shower for a bit longer, wanting to gather my bearings and get ready for whatever was to come my way.

I felt this presence in the bathroom, something old and comforting but also new and exciting, and it confused the shit out of me.

I flung back the shower curtain while I wrapped the towel around me and looked around, my whole body growing tense and my heart slowly starting to beat at a steady pace.

"Hello?" I asked while I looked around but didn't see anything nor anyone in here. "Who is there?"

Nothing. I was only met with silence...

I narrowed my eyes and let out a low hiss, warning whoever was there that I was dangerous and that I was not in the mood to be messed with.

Again, nothing.

With a small groan, I shook my head and pursed my lips. "I don't have time for this," I said and started to finish drying myself off. "Who the hell is here?"

There was still nothing, but the urgency in the air began to affect me, and I finished drying myself quickly before I dressed fast, faster than I ever had before and exited the shower with towel in hand.

Slowly, I looked this way and that but didn't see a thing, which I had expected but didn't like.

I groaned and shook my head before I made it to the sink where I kept some stuff to clean my face with so that I didn't get pimples and a brush.

I didn't look in the mirror while I started to wash my face, using the washcloth hanging near the sink to wet my face and started to apply the cleanser to my skin before I rubbed it in.

As soon as I was done rubbing it in, I cupped some water into my hand and splashed it across my face, enjoying the coolness even if it was for a little while.

I grabbed the washcloth and started to pat my face dry, this time looking in the mirror only not to see my face but a face of a strange yet familiar man, standing straight behind me.

The person on the other side of the glass smiled and bowed his head in greeting when my eyes landed on him.

"Shit!" I exclaimed finally before I punched the mirror, breaking the glass while I turned around quickly to see... nothing.

My whole body was tense and alert, and I blinked and blinked again, shocked that there was no one behind me when I knew that someone had to be. "Who's there?" I asked in a harsh tone.

Nothing. Only silence filled the room around me.

"Clover?" I heard one of the guys call out from the living room, coming towards the bathroom. "Is everything all right? I heard something break in there."

I blinked and blinked again while I looked around the room again, making sure that I was still alone. "Uh, ya, ya, everything is fine," I said, even though I had no idea if it was or not. "Go ahead and continue to wait for me in the living room. I'll be out shortly."

There was a pause on the other end of the door. "Are you sure..?" the person asked, sounding cautious. "You sounded rather upset and defensive."

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes before I let it out slowly. "Uh, ya, ya, I am fine," I said impatiently while I opened my eyes and looked around the bathroom again. "Like I said, I will be out shortly." I paused. "Is everyone safe out there?"

"We are," the person confirmed. "Frederick is still asleep and is searching for you by reaching out and touching the area. He's getting impatient, and I have a feeling that he wants you out soon."

They put an emphasis on "soon," and I rolled my eyes and scowled. "But I don't know where Ghost is. Then again, I never know where it is, so it doesn't make a difference anyway."

I slowly relaxed and looked around the bathroom, blinking. "It doesn't make a difference," I mumbled under my breath and looked towards the mirror again to see that it was fixed and the male was standing there again. "Because you never know where it is..."

There was silence on the other side of the door. "Are you sure that you are fine?" they asked.

"I am," I confirmed and turned towards the mirror and took a step forward, the sink blocking me from the mirror. "Go ahead and go back to the living room. I will be there shortly."

Again, there was a pause before the person sighed and nodded. "Of course," they said, and I could hear them leave and go back to the living room where everyone else was gathered. "Don't wait too long or else I'll send Ghost in," they joked over their shoulder, and I rolled my eyes and scowled.

"You don't have to," I mumbled while I stared at the male with eyes that were familiar to me in a past life.

An image of the same male flashed behind my eyes, but this time it was dark, and the male was standing over me with hair wet against his head. He had the same scar across one eye, something that I had caused but didn't know how.

He had looked relieved when he saw me looking at him and had said something that I couldn't hear before everything went black and I passed out. However, I had this small feeling that he had promised to protect me, to watch over me while I went on with life and serve me until I was able to show myself again... whatever that meant.

Those eyes held the same message as it did that night, and he had a small grim smile on his face as if he knew that I recognized him finally, even though his name was still a mystery to me.

"... Ghost?"