Chapter 12

Someone knocked at my door around three in the morning, and I had a feeling I knew who it was. They knocked harder on the door, and it took all of my self-control not to sit down and ignore it.

"I'm coming; I'm coming," I muttered. I grabbed the perfume that I used to hide my scent and sprayed some on me, praying that my home wouldn't smell like the wood-burning scent, or whatever scent I carried, and walked to the door. "Don't need to get your panties in a twist." I grabbed my glasses from beside the door and opened it to see Frederick standing there about to knock again.

He blinked back in shock and cleared his throat. "Miss Greene," he said, trying to be formal but failing miserably. He wanted to shove me out of the way to take a look at his packmates, but he didn't want to hurt me. His eyes flickered this way and that, and I knew that he was trying to take a look into my apartment. "I-"

"Antonio is alive if that is what you mean," I said, moving away from him. I made sure that my voice was soft, not wanting to wake the sleeping men. "He's asleep right now, and so is Miguel."

Frederick nodded his head and moved a hand across his face. He looked disheveled and worn out, and I knew that he hadn't gotten any sleep light night either. "May I come in?" he asked.

"Well, I am not holding the door open or out of the way just for the heck of it, Sir," I replied sarcastically. I gestured with my free hand, letting him know that he could go in. "So, be my guest and go in."

Frederick nodded his head and muttered his thanks, stepping into the apartment room. Silently, he looked around with a calculative gaze, and I had this weird feeling, wondering if he was pleased with the way that I had decorated the house or not.

"You have a nice place," he commented and cleared his throat. Again, he looked around before he turned his gaze to me. "Where is everyone?"

"Antonio is on the blanket in the middle of the room, and Miguel is in the guest bedroom. Antonio just crashed on the floor and didn't want to move." I shrugged my shoulders and walked to where Antonio was sleeping, knowing full well that the male wanted to check on him first.

"What do you know?" Frederick asked, following me. His voice was soft, and he studied me with such an intense gaze that I almost forgot to breathe. "What have they told you?"

"They asked me for a place to sleep," I replied. I shrugged my shoulders and grimaced. "I don't know why and didn't bother to ask. Antonio looked dead on his feet, so I didn't question it."

Frederick frowned but nodded his head. "You're hiding something," he stated, and I knew that he was trying to catch me in some lie.

I raised an eyebrow and cocked my head. "Aren't we all hiding something?" I asked, not falling into the trap. "Even you?"

Frederick scowled but didn't say a word. He turned his gaze to the sleeping male and watched him breathe, looking relaxed while he slept. His gaze softened, and I could tell that he cared about his packmate. "Do you know if Miguel will be up any time soon?" he asked, looking at me. "I don't want to wake him, especially since he had a rough night."

I shrugged my shoulders. "I don't know," I replied. "Coffee?" I gestured towards the kitchen with my head, and Frederick nodded his head.

"Please."

I nodded and walked to the kitchen with the silent Alpha padding after me. Silently, I started to get the coffee ready, knowing full well that I didn't want to wake my sleeping guests. I could feel Frederick's gaze on me while I worked, watching as I made the coffee in the soft lamplight I had, making sure that I didn't use other lights because I knew how bright they could be.

"Thank you for letting them stay," he said, silently, and I nodded my head in acknowledgment. His gaze heated the side of my face while I got the machine that made the coffee ready. "Did you get any sleep before they came?"

I shrugged and grimaced. "A bit," I replied honestly. I didn't want to tell him that I had kept an eye over Antonio for the past two hours, not knowing if there would be any... contradictions between the poison that they used or the cream that I had used.

I knew that it could be used on Werewolves, but I had never used it on one before until Antonio. I had no idea if it would work or not, but it did; even then, I was still worried and made sure that he was breathing and alive.

"What time did you get to bed?" he asked.

"Eleven," I replied. I watched the coffee pour out into the glass container, the smell of freshly brewed coffee beans filling the air. "They woke me up around one, one-thirty, and I had been up since then."

"Why?"

"Because Antonio looked like he was about to keel over dead, and I had no idea if he would or not, so I just watched out for him." I shrugged again. "I later realized that he was ok, and he only needed sleep. However, the deed had been done, and I couldn't fall back asleep."

"Will you be able to start work today without falling asleep?"

"I don't know," I replied. I looked at the Alpha Male and scowled. "I am sure that I will be fine when I get there, but I also have to take the GED classes in the evening, and I know that I will be falling asleep through that."

Frederick nodded his head slowly. "Don't drink the coffee," he said.

"What?"

Frederick closed his eyes and took a deep breath, and I could tell that he was annoyed. "Don't drink the coffee," he said again, opening his eyes and staring at me. "You will go to bed and get some sleep. I will be picking you up at five in the evening and taking you to your GED classes. They start at six and go on until eight every evening."

I pursed my lips and narrowed my eyes suspiciously. I could sense Ghost, and I knew that it was back, and it was silently watching the conversation between Frederick and me. "Why you?" I asked.

He raised an eyebrow. "How else will you get there?" he asked. "On time? You don't have a car. Remember?"

I pressed my lips into a firm line. I knew that he had a point, but I had no idea why he offered his services to be my chauffeur.

"Take it as... a thank you," Frederick said while I stayed silent. He cocked his head and studied me. "It's a thank you for giving two of my... companions a place to sleep for the night."

I narrowed my eyes suspiciously. "If you are sure..." I replied. I nodded, caving, even though I was still suspicious of him and didn't know his motives. "Ok, thank you, Mr. Long," I said.

"Frederick. Call me, Frederick."

I raised an eyebrow but didn't question it. "Ok... Frederick. Thank you."

Frederick offered me a grim smile. "Tell Miguel and Antonio that they do not need to work today, but I do expect them back at their houses by noon today or whenever they wake up. Is that understood?"

I held back an eye roll and nodded my head. "Understood," I replied. I poured him a cup of coffee and handed it to him. "Keep the cup."

Frederick nodded his head, didn't say another word, and left.

I leaned back against the counter and watched him leave before I turned my gaze onto Ghost. "Next time, tell me where you are going, Ghost. It felt weird not having you looking after my back."

And with that, I went back to my place on the couch, got into the blanket cocoon that I had made, and fell asleep, using my arm as a pillow. I trusted Ghost and knew that it would look after Antonio, no matter how much it hated him.