Chapter 7

Nothing. Nothing happened when I picked up the dagger, and I couldn't help but feel disappointed. There was no spark, no movement, nothing. Nothing was different, and I didn't feel any different.

I bit back a huff and studied the dagger, noticing how it felt in my hands. The black hilt itself wasn't too heavy and felt as if it was made for me. The leather was worn and soft as if there had been many hands holding it before mine.

Slowly, I reached up and grabbed the black sheath with my other hand and pulled the dagger out of it. The blade was smooth and looked fairly new. It was made of a type of metal that I had never seen before and glowed whenever I moved the blade.

Reds, yellows, and oranges were the colors that I noticed, and it looked as if the blade had captured fire and was projecting it all around my room. This feeling of immense power filled the air, and the air around me hummed with this unknown energy.

"Ok..." I said, finally putting the dagger back into its sheath and putting it on my bed. I took a deep breath in and let it out as I pulled the horn out.

The first thing that I noticed about the horn was that it was light. It didn't feel as heavy as I thought it would be. And another thing that I noticed was that the horn didn't look like it came from anything that I knew.

The horn was red and old. Carved into the horn was pictures of battles fought by... people long ago. Dragons littered the battle scene and some of these... humanoid creatures that were neither human nor beast.

Magic seemed to be coming from the horn, and it... felt as if this memory was trying to surface because... I had seen this before. I know I had seen it before, but I could not tell when or how.

"Alïtha," I whispered, touching the biggest dragon on the horn. Deep longing filled my body as if a part of me knew what I said, and it was something meaningful to me. However, I couldn't place that word. I couldn't remember what it meant, so I furrowed my brows when I said that and jerked my head back in shock. "The fuck?" I asked. "What does that mean?"

I huffed and placed the horn down on the bed near the dagger, knowing full well that nobody would answer me. My head was hurting, but I didn't care as I inspected the box, having this... strange feeling that something else was in it, something that I should know about but didn't.

I closed the lid to the box and turned it upside down. I had no idea what I was doing, but... it felt right. It felt like I had done this before, a long time ago when I wasn't supposed to, but I did it anyway.

Slowly, I felt along the bottom of the box with my eyes closed. I did not want to see what I was doing, letting only my instincts take over.

The soft wood turned a little rough when I found the spot that I wanted. I took a deep breath in and steadied myself before I pulled on the two latches, having found the other with my other hand.

A small click sounded through the air as I opened my eyes to see that it was open. Taking a deep breath in, I opened the box and noticed an old book with yellowing pages.

The book looked really old, and the cover looked as if it was made out of large alligator scaled painted red. But they weren't alligator scales. I knew that they weren't, but I didn't know what they were made from.

Hesitantly, I picked up the book and felt that the whole book was warm as if it had this fire raging in its pages.

I opened the book up and noticed that I had seen it in a different language before. I had no idea where I had seen the language, but I knew there was something there.

Groaning, I tossed the book on the bed and placed my hands over my eyes. My head felt as if someone was banging a hammer into it, showing me no mercy.

"Gods," I hissed, putting the box to the side. "I need a shower. I can't look at this stuff anymore."

And with that, I hopped out of bed and walked into my bathroom. I knew that I would have to study the box some more, but I was going to do that later.

I needed a shower. I needed to see if I couldn't find something to do with my time, knowing for a fact that he wouldn't let me work there any longer, no matter how much Miguel and the others tried to convince him to let me be there without telling him what I was. 

However, I had a feeling that he wasn't going to change his mind at all just because he didn't trust me.