Chapter 8

I took a deep breath and jogged in place, waiting for the little man to appear so I could cross the street while I was listening to music blaring through my headphones. I could see some of the workers working on the building we had been building and others taking a "break" on the other side of the fence.

I had a feeling that they were waiting for me, trying to let me know that I still wasn't welcomed on the property. "No funny business," I mumbled, knowing full well that the Ghost was nearby. "If they say something that you don't like, ignore them. If he knows that I have a "bodyguard," then Gods knows what he would do."

The little man appeared, and I ran across the street, making sure that I wouldn't get hit by any of the cars that were rudely trying to cross while I was in the crosswalk.

"Asshole," I snapped when one of them almost hit me. "Watch where you are fucking going. I'm walking here." I gritted my teeth together and finished crossing the street; my anger flaring up to a dangerous level.

"Hey, Señorita (Miss), are you alright?" Antonio asked, leaning on the back of the fence. He smirked when I looked at him with an annoyed expression. "That was some show."

"Shut up," I said, stopping in front of them. I took an earpiece out of my ear, the music still playing.

"Where ya headed?" Antonio asked, raising an eyebrow. He looked me up and down to see that I was dressed in yoga pants and a tank top. "The stripper club?"

"Very funny," I replied blankly. I looked towards the gate when Frederick and Miguel walked out of the site. "I'm running, so I'll be out of your hair." That was directed at Frederick, and he nodded.

Antonio laughed, and we looked at him. "You? Running? Since when?"

"Since forever," I replied, folding my arms across my chest. I could tell that the Ghost was trying to be calm with Antonio, but we both knew that it didn't have the patience for his antics. "You don't need to know everything about me."

"Well, then, you may go," Antonio said, waving his hand in a shooing motion, and Frederick growled.

I furrowed my brows in confusion and looked around, trying to make sure that he did not know that I knew about Werewolves. "What was that?" I asked. "It sounded like some... beast?"

"It was nothing," Frederick said, his voice hard. He glared at Antonio, and I could tell that he did not like what he had done. He looked at me, keeping his face blank. "I do want to talk to you if you aren't busy."

I nodded my head. "I can," I confirmed. "Now, or do you need me to come back later?"

"Now would be fine," he said. He gestured for me to go into the construction site. "Miguel will be with us, considering you trust him."

"Awww, why not anyone else?" Antonio asked as we walked into the site. "She trusts us." He was about to put his arm around me but didn't because the Ghost had stopped him. He scowled but didn't say a word because he knew it wouldn't be a good idea for Frederick to know.

I moved out of his way to make sure that Frederick wouldn't know about my Ghost and moved closer to Miguel. "I don't trust you, Antonio," I said, narrowing my eyes at him. "I never had, and I do not know if I will."

Antonio placed his hand on his chest, but I could see a little hurt flicker through his eyes. He looked sad for some reason when I said that I wouldn't ever trust him, and I couldn't help but wonder why. "You wound me, Clo," he said. "My heart breaks at your meanness."