Chapter 35

I walked into the living room after I finished getting ready with my dirty clothes in my hands.

"Are you ready, Dear?" my grandmother asked while she walked over to me. She held out her hand for me to give her my dirty clothes, and I looked at her hand before I looked at her, not sure why she wanted it.

"I am," I said and nodded, grabbing my clothes tighter. "Is everything packed and ready for me to go?"

"It is as soon as you hand me over your dirty clothes," she said. "Targon has your socks and shoes ready for you so that you don't have to go around barefoot."

I gave her my dirty clothes and nodded. "Thank you," I said while Targon walked over to me and handed me my socks and shoes.

"Of course," he said and nodded, "anything for you."

"Is everything packed?" I asked while I sat down on the ground to put on my socks and shoes.

"Yes," my grandmother said and nodded, having done something to my dirty clothes, which I didn't question. "Everything is ready and packed. All you need to do is get ready to go."

"All I need to do is get my shoes on," I said after I finished and stood. "Now, how are we going to do this?" I asked and raised an eyebrow in question.

"I called Santiago, and he is almost here," Miguel said and walked over to us with Frederick and Antonio following him. "He's driving Frederick's car over here. You'll go with Frederick, Targon, Andromeda and me. Abram, Antonio, Nila, who is your teacher, and Santiago will be in her car."

I nodded and looked at Ms. Lowell before I looked at Miguel. "Her car needs to be f-"

"Oh, I already fixed it, Dear," my grandmother said and patted my arm, interrupting me. "Targon made a huge mess of it. Didn't he?" She looked at me and bit back a small smirk, and Targon slowly blinked and didn't say a word.

"He did," I confirmed and nodded before I cleared my throat, growing serious. "However, it could have been a lot worse."

My grandmother's gaze grew softer, and she nodded. "Of course, Dear," she said and patted my arm. "It could have been better, though."

I shrugged and didn't say a word while Frederick cleared his throat and looked between us with a hidden anger in his eyes while he looked at me.

"Does Santiago know?" he asked while he raised an eyebrow in question. His voice was cold and bitter, and I had to hold back an eye roll while I scowled.

"Yes," I said and nodded in confirmation. "He "knows" about me being someone of a different species. Most of that group that works in construction does because we have worked with each other for a long time."

"For how long?" he asked while he raised an eyebrow in question.

I bit back a sigh and shook my head, not knowing that answer. "They've known for a while, Frederick," I said before I cleared my throat. "We've talked about this before. Don't be mad at them because they were protecting me and making sure that I stayed safe."

"He doesn't know that she is called a Draconon," Miguel said, and Frederick looked at him through narrowed eyes. "However, he does know that she is different."

"Those that have smelled like you know that you are different, right?" he asked and raised an eyebrow in question while he looked at me, and I nodded in confirmation.

"They do," I said and nodded again before I cleared my throat and shifted on my feet because I couldn't help but feel nervous. "Yana made sure that no one could smell me, even though it does wear off, which is why they have smelled like me before you met me."