Chapter 9

I can't do this.

Iwaizumi was standing in front of his mirror finding every flaw that he possibly could. In his outfit choice, even though he'd cycled through six other ones before settling on this one. With his hair that was sticking out in every-which-way and refused to stay down no matter how much gel he had already used. With his smile that was "too uneven" for his liking. With the way that his eyes, though a beautiful olive green, he believed were too dull in comparison to Oikawa's. What could he ever see in me? I'll never be good enough for him. He's so perfect and I'm so...me.

His spiraling was cut short as the voice of his mother rang out in the hallway, growing closer. "Alright, Hajime, it's ten til' seven, you should probably start heading over if you want to get there on time!" she knocked on the door before strolling into his room. "Oh, you look so handsome!" she clasped her hands over her heart. "I just know that tonight is going to go well. And don't forget that I need a full report when you get home and, no I don't care what time it is. Trust me, I'll be awake," she smirked and ushered him out of his room, not giving him another chance to pick apart his appearance.

Whelp, I guess there's no going back now. And so Iwaizumi found himself walking over to Oikawa's house in the freezing cold, though if his body was reacting to the lower temperature, he wasn't able to tell. His heart was burning in desire and anticipation, warming him from the inside out. The moths in his stomach seemed to be working overtime tonight. The ten-minute walk seemed like an eternity as he played and replayed and replayed again every possible way that this night could go in his head. He figured that there were five most probable possibilities. Best case scenario, he confessed to Oikawa and his feelings were reciprocated. Worst case scenario, the confession ended in a permanently-ruined friendship. Iwaizumi shuddered in fear at that possibility. Another was that he ultimately chickened out and continued to live his life of being a full-time-pining-simp from afar. Another was that he confessed and Oikawa didn't feel the same, but their friendship remained intact. The last one that he thought of was that they would be at the party when Godzilla attacked and killed them all before he was given the chance to even confess, though he figured that this was the least probable, but not completely impossible. He was hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst.

Before he knew it, he was standing in front of the door to Oikawa's house, unable to bring himself to knock and an intense feeling of déjà vu washed over him. Okay, Hajime, it's now or never. Just knock on the door. You know how to do that, just one simple action...c'mon man, not this again! He gulped hard before bringing his hand up to knock on the door, but just as he was about to do so, the door swung open and his eyes were blinded by the most stunning sight he had ever seen. He was sure that he would simply just die if he didn't look away, but he couldn't force himself to do so.

The source of the light was Oikawa, himself. It appeared that he had recently taken a shower, as his hair was wet and pushed behind his ears, with his glasses resting on the bridge of his nose. He had on a button-up shirt that was very much not buttoned up, his chest and torso on full display and looking delicious. The brown pants that he had on were hugging his ass, or lack thereof, perfectly and Iwaizumi couldn't help but stare. He looked like a piece of heaven that had fallen to earth. He was thankful that Oikawa spoke first, because he sure as hell was not going to be able to.

"Iwa-chan! Seven on the dot, hmm? How very punctual of you," he teased. Iwaizumi blinked in response. "Well, I was just finishing up getting ready, sorry for putting us a bit behind schedule," he chuckled as he rubbed the back of his neck.

"Ta-take your time," Iwaizumi's voice had finally caught up to the rest of him.

"Well I can't just have you standing in the doorway awkwardly; come in!" then adding in a lower, more seductive tone, "follow me to the bedroom," but he was laughing loudly a couple of seconds later.