Chapter 20

Nine Months Later

Iwaizumi was sitting in his dorm room alone on a chilly December morning sipping on a mug of hot chocolate while attempting to write an essay that he had effectively put off until the very last second. "Why do I do this every single time?" he muttered to himself under his breath and continued furiously typing away at his keyboard. After about an hour or so, he stretched and stood up from his desk, looking down at the single paragraph that he had managed to write, and decided that it was time to take a break. He lay down on his bed and turned his phone on, opting to mindlessly scroll through instagram. He thought back to the times when he and Oikawa would sit on his bed together and make fun of people and create scenarios for every post they saw. They'd done this for years and, even though some may think them a bit mean, it had been one of their favorite past-times. He started to tear up at the memories, wanting nothing more than for Oikawa to be sitting next to him right then, but he wiped away at his eyes quickly and decided to take a nap, snuggling into his blanket and allowing himself to be overtaken by sleep...until he was jolted out of his slumber by the furious knocking on his door.

"Oh my god, whaaaaaat?" he drew out, drowsiness making him a bit cranky. He immediately woke up, however, when he saw who was at the door.

"Well, hello darling."

"Makki!?"

"In the flesh," his friend said with a grin as Iwaizumi pulled him into a tight hug.

"Nobody has heard from you since graduation! You and Mattsun just kind of fell off the face of the earth," he frowned.

"Ah, yeah. Oops." Hanamaki simply shrugged.

"That, that's it? I don't get an explanation?"

"Nothing to explain. It's not super important."

Suddenly, Iwaizumi caught something glint out of the corner of his eye and he gasped. "Is that a ring on your finger!?"

"Nope."

"It's literally right there."

"It's a purity ring."

"Oh, fuck you."

"You know I would love to let you but, as I just stated, I am, in fact, saving myself for marriage."

"Yeah, try telling that to Kunimi. I'm pretty sure he's still in therapy after what he saw on the bus..."

Makki laughed uncontrollably, clutching onto his sides for support, "oh my god, you should have seen his face. It was fucking priceless."

They sat and chatted for a while, catching up on life and reliving some of their favorite memories from high school, until Iwaizumi asked what he had been wondering since his friend showed up.

"So, Makki, when are you going to tell me why exactly you're here? Not that I mind, it's actually been really great seeing you, but I know you too well. You wouldn't just show up without a reason."

"Well, Hajime, if you must know, I've come to set you straight. Well, not straight. I'm pretty sure you ruined that for yourself last year." He chuckled before continuing. "But you see, I know you pretty well, too. And I know that you're not stupid. You realize what's coming up."

Iwaizumi bit the inside of his cheek nervously. "I-I don't know what you mean."

"Oh I know damn well you do. Do the words 'New Year's Eve' ring any bells?"

"Ah..." Iwaizumi trailed off. "That."

Makki looked at him with concern on his face. "What are you doing, Iwa?"