26.

'She broke my spine

And in that pain

I realised every dime I've ever saved wasn't worth anything'

*

Harry

Of all places to meet, of course she chose under a fucking bridge in the dead of night. Nothing this woman ever does is simple. Everything has always been for show. I suspect she likes the spectacle of everything. Likes to test how dramatic she can make everything before she disappears and leaves you to clean up the mess.

It's around 9pm. Friday. While most of the city is alive with bar crawlers and club goers, I'm waiting in the dusk for someone I have been trying to avoid for far too long. It's not as cold as it has been, temperatures picking up as spring rolls in and flowers bloom. Through the streetlights close by I can see the sprouting trees of the park, illuminated further by the backdrop of distant buildings in the capital.

The bridge above me is an old railway one, still in use by some of the Overground services running throughout the city. Every time a train goes over, the entire frame shakes so hard I can feel it in the concrete under my feet. It's so loud that it blocks out the sounds of shady drug deals and riotous kids trying to intimidate passers-by. There aren't many people out tonight, mainly joggers and a few youths. A dealer tried to move me on when I arrived earlier, but once I flashed my gun he ran off. Probably thought I was a police officer. That's what most people assume when they see the weapon.

I was surprised when she told me to meet her at Lea Valley Park, one of the last places I'd ever expect to see her

I was surprised when she told me to meet her at Lea Valley Park, one of the last places I'd ever expect to see her. The River Lea isn't the safest place to be at night, especially for a woman. It's likely she's bringing back up. That's why I brought my gun, to make sure I'm protected if she tries anything. Always relied on the strength of others to do her dirty work. Not everyone has that luxury. I've always had to fend for myself. The team are helpful and have frequently stated they'd take a bullet for me, but that's a burden I never want them to take, not when this is my problem.

It did cross my mind that this location, however random at first, was an intentional choice. It's not too far from Dalston. Atlas. She's only a half hour drive away from here. This meeting, it's a direct threat.

When I left her this morning, I went straight to the office to try and plan our response. The team were already there when I arrived, I'd seen them the day before to explain what had happened and start figuring out the next steps. The most important thing we need to do right now is keep our wits about us. Never lose focus, always pay attention to what's going on around us. Hugo has made it perfectly clear he's always watching. If he knows about Atlas it's only a matter of time before he figures out what we're working towards. Unless he already knows, which I wouldn't put past him. But if that's the case, why hasn't he ratted us out to his police force? There's no way he'd let us get away with it. It would be naïve to act like he doesn't know, though.