46.

'Come on baby, don't fear the reaper

Baby take my hand, don't fear the reaper'

*

'Shit, shit, shit!' I yell out as I watch the blood pour from his wound. Yet again I am covered in the claret of someone I value in my life. Another person injured because of my existence.

It's good that he's awake and coherent, but I can tell just how much pain Harry is in. Every time I place pressure over his stomach his jaw clenches and a sharp breath is sucked in. Despite this, he's remaining as quiet as possible so not to attract any attention from the London tourists. The last thing we need is a scene, even I know that.

Instead, I tend to him myself with as much caution and silence as I can, but in my head is a ringing that completely clouds my senses. That same dull sound that called out the moment I found Joe's body. That day it was like time froze and I was stuck in an alternate reality. I'd convinced myself that it was all just a nightmare I would awake from, but unlike the princesses in fairy tales, no kiss could wake me from this. Real life cannot be so easily solved by a knight in shining armour.

My fist connects with the side of the van, banging a few times to grab George's attention. We're in no position to ask the others for help, so for now it's just us three as we try to mend the damage that has been inflicted today. After a few attempts the back door finally opens and he stumbles out, eyes latching onto my own before scanning down to the injured man below. As he processes the scene in front of him I watch all colour drain from his face. I wonder if he's ever found himself in a situation like this since joining the Municipal. Part of me prays he hasn't so he can maintain the last pieces of innocence that he holds onto.

George steps closer cautiously, almost as if his movements will make the ground cave in and we'll all fall to our demise. I understand his fear, but I need another set of hands if we're going to get Harry to safety. I look up at him with wide eyes, nodding my head to the side to indicate my need for him. He just stays cemented in his spot, completely thrown off by what he's seeing. 'George, please, I need help,' I beg while keeping my tone as calm as possible.

His eyes trail up to mine while his mouth remains open wide. I can tell he has so many questions, but nothing is able to come out. He's completely paralysed. I know that feeling all too well, but now is not the time for it.

Harry grunts underneath me, trying to squirm away from my grasp as I increase my pressure over one of the wounds. The problem is there are so many littered across his stomach that I don't have the power to ease the bleeding on all of them. I feel helpless, which can only mean this won't end well. I'm not strong enough to keep him alive despite how badly I want him to live.

I hadn't even realised my hands had started shaking until Harry lightly grasps them to ease my panic. Even though he's the one that's been injured, he still feels the need to look after me. I have to be that person for him. 'Atlas, it's ok, breathe,' he tells me, voice barely above a whisper. He's managed to open his eyes, but they quickly close again when he shuffles slightly to try and sit up higher so we're eye level. I immediately move my hands from his and place them on his shoulders to stop him.

I shake my head at his words, refusing to accept his attempts to comfort me at a time like this. 'I should be telling you to breathe,' I say with a deep swallow. I can feel a lump in my throat that only grows by the second. 'I don't know what to do, tell me what to do,' I plead when his eyes meet mine again.

His chest is heaving up and down at such a rapid rate, I worry that he'll send himself into an anxiety attack if he doesn't ease it soon. 'You need to get me in the van first, ok?' he speaks, hands over some of the deeper wounds. Blood streams out between his fingers, soaking his shirt further and pooling on and between his legs. It only reminds me of the last time I dealt with someone in this position. 'George, come over here buddy,' he calls out, understanding the young man is still stood watching us.