69.

'And in this wounded

Sinister place

We've only got each other'

*

Everything must remain a secret. Every action, discovery, conversation – all of it is hidden. The only person we can trust is Babz, but even then, we're selective in what we tell her. She's made it clear that she won't tell Zayn, despite her belief that he can be trusted. To be honest, I trust him too, but Harry is so paranoid lately there's no getting through to him. Hopefully we'll have our answers soon about who the mole is, and we can move on with our lives. Until then, it's just Harry and me.

The stones we found have been hidden in the house, locked in the piano with the real Cullinan IX that was stolen a couple of months back. I'm the only person that understands the significance of keeping it there, because it's only me that uses the instrument. While it was his mother's piano, Harry has no connection to it with her. His attachment is because of me now, so it seemed the best place to hide them. It's poetic, in a way.

One thing that has been playing on my mind, though, is why only 8 were in the set. There are 9 Cullinan Diamonds we wish to steal, and I know my father. He would never leave a job unfinished. So, it leaves the question of where the final stone is. It could have been lost in the process of moving them, or maybe he gave it to someone, but there's no indication that he did. He left his team, severed the ties, and the only other person I could think of him sending it to is the wife of the man hunting us, and she's six feet under. What makes it more damning, is the fact that the only stone missing, is the replica of the Cullinan IX.

It's not important, considering we've already replaced the stone in the ring, but to ignore it would be foolish at this point. We have to consider every single motive. Niall is the one who sourced the replica we used, so it's likely he had it. The only person he could have got it from was Hugo, which would confirm my suspicions about him.

He is the most likely person to be crossing us. The way he behaved when we confronted the boys is proof enough. When you start to consider motive and means, it makes a lot of sense. He's rarely around, only involving himself in the heists he deems worthy, and while this is certainly one of them, that absence and disconnect would allow him the time to be approached and persuaded to work for another. Especially if that person has more money to offer at the end of it. Whenever something is brought up, he's distant, like there are small cogs turning in his brain to figure out how he can work his way out of it. Of course, it could just be my suspicions getting the better of me, but out of all of them, he fits the mould.

Harry is still convinced it's Louis. His reasoning is that Louis was too defensive and was a coward to throw everyone under the bus. But even I can see that anyone being accused of something they haven't done would react the same way.

This is why we have to keep our guard up. It could be anyone.

For now, we need to keep them close. We need to convince them that we no longer suspect them, that we simply flew off the handle after what happened. That we've figured out who it was, and it's been handled. Only then can we catch them in the act.

It's been two days since we visited Aldeburgh, the first time I'd even left the house since Dad's funeral, and I finally feel ready to go back to the warehouse. Granted, it'll be a lot quieter now, given how many were murdered at the hands of Hugo's people, but it will be good to see some people. Over half the team were killed in the process, of which Harry has already begun sourcing others to fill their space. The families of those effected have also been supported, and the child we heard about when Bobby was attacked will be taken care of.