10.

'I don't need love

For what good will love do me?

Diamonds never lie to me

For when love's gone

They'll luster on'

*

Supposedly half of the original Cullinan diamond is missing, after it was claimed only a section of it was brought to higher ground. People went on treasure hunts trying to locate it in the years that followed, but no one has ever been said to find it.

The diamond was first discovered in 1905 near Pretoria in South Africa, and even to this day it is still the most celebrated diamond in the world. At the time, there was uproar over the British owning the diamond. The country was going through severe economic recession, but instead of sorting it, the rulers were sending priceless gifts to a King in another land. In 1907 it was finally presented to King Edward VII by the government of Transvaal following the Boer War. Perhaps that was the greatest robbery in history.

It took 8 months to cut the diamond, eventually resulting in the 9 pieces that we have today, only with 97 smaller fragments. After the King's death in 1910, his successor, George V has Cullinan I and II set into the Sovereign's sceptre and Imperial State Crown, respectively. These were the stones Harry wished to steal and replace. The most difficult of the set.

Cullinan III was set into a pear shaped diamond in Queen Mary's crown, with IV as part of a pendant brooch that matched the crown. V was mounted in another brooch for the queen, to be worn alternatively in a crown as a replacement for the Koh-i-Noor diamond. VI was mounted in a pendant on a small all-diamond brooch, with VIII in the centre. Cullinan IX was mounted into a ring.

Harry had informed me that they had intended to try and steal this ring too, starting off small before they worked their way up to the bigger goal, to see how possible it could be to replicate the stone. This ring would be used for me to help build the replica. The ring is currently in Buckingham Palace, on display for the belated Jubilee celebrations for Queen Elizabeth II. It's rarely ever worn, only ever on display to the public, but it is often ignored in favour of the bigger parts. I personally think it's just as beautiful and deserving of attention.

One thing that I am clear on through my research, though, is the general feeling in South Africa that the diamond was stolen by British colonisers and deserved to be brought home. What gave us the right to own it before them? Part of my heart aches at the thought of it being chopped up and sold on the black market, at least I assume that's what the plan is. I'd asked Harry a few times what he intended to do with it, but there were some things still being kept from me. I guess I'd find out in due course.

We're sat in his office, him at the desk and myself in a chair in the corner, researching the diamond I've stupidly decided to help them steal. 'Is this some form of rebellion, is that why you're doing it?' I ask, peeking over my laptop.

Harry's busy filling out some paperwork, which he won't tell me anything about, a pair of rounded glasses resting on his nose. He looks up at me instantly, pen still in his hand as he writes out something. 'Believe whatever helps you sleep at night, Atlas.' He smirks at me, turning his attention back to whatever he's working on.

I'm becoming annoyed at the lack of information I have. I'm risking my own life to be involved in this, something that he sold to me as being the ride of my life, and here I am still in the dark about what any of us are even doing. Everyone on the team knows the plan, but me. He recruited me, the least he can do is keep me informed.