Chapter Twenty-Six - Accepting Feelings

~

Reece's POV

~

He's gay. He doesn't like her like that. She doesn't like him like that.

Thank fúck.

I know that doesn't mean I have a chance. Not even close. But it makes my heart hurt a little less.

I've accepted it now. I like Layla. I really like Layla. And there's nothing I can do about it. She's almost three thousand miles away from me. But even if she were here with me, I wouldn't act on my feelings. I can't. She'll never feel the same. She's too good. I'd rather stay friends and not tell her than risk losing her by admitting my feelings.

Besides, I'm sure these feelings will pass. Eventually.

"Hey, Gunner," I greet my coach as I walk into the gym, my bag slung over my shoulder. There are only a couple other guys here today. They're sparring together in the corner of the room.

"Carter, how are ya?" He walks over to me, standing with his arms crossed in front of him.

"Good," I nod, setting my bag down on the bench.

He narrows his eyes at me, "Something's up."

I raise a brow at him, "What?"

"It's Layla isn't it?"

My heart jumps in my chest just at the sound of her name. Fúck. "What about her?"

He stares a second longer, never breaking eye contact. I stand my ground. Suddenly, his face lights up with a grin, "Oh my God! You finally realized, didn't you?"

I furrow my eyebrows, "Realized what?"

"That you like her, dipshít!" he exclaims as if it's obvious.

"You- what? No I-" I stutter, trying to deny it.

"Don't try to deny it, mate. Have you seen the way you look at her? Anyone can see it."

"I- I don't... How did you-"

He scoffs, "Please, the second I said her name, your face lit up like a firework. It's about time you realized." He shakes his head, "So when are you gonna tell her?"

My face falls into a frown as I turn around and walk over to the punching bag, "Never."

"What?" Gunner asks, following me, "What do you mean 'never'?"

"It means I'm not going to tell her." I mutter, stopping in front of the punching bag and raising my fists.

"Your hands aren't even-" He stops abruptly when I start punching the bag repeatedly. I get in only a few hard punches before he pulls me away from the bag. "Don't be a fúcking díckhead. You'll ruin your knuckles doing that." He barks, smacking me upside the head.

I huff, storming back over to my bag and unzipping it to grab my wraps. Gunner follows, watching me as I begin to wrap my hands. "Why aren't you gonna tell her?"

"Just drop it, Gunner," I mutter, getting angry.

"I'm not going to fúcking drop it! Now tell me why you're acting like an asshole."

"Gunner, I said drop it."

"No, that girl is good for you. You can't just-"

"That's exactly the problem!" I cut him off abruptly, my voice rising, "She's too good for me! She'll never in a million years feel the same. So I'm not going to tell her." I walk back over to the punching bag and start punching it again.