Chapter Forty-Five - Promise

~

Layla's POV

~

"Happy birthday, baby girl! I miss you so, so much!" My mom tells me over the phone, and I can picture the wide smile on her face.

"Thanks, Mom. I miss you too. How is everything in New York?" I ask, slowly getting up from my bed. A call from my mom is the first thing I woke up to this morning. I can't believe I'm finally eighteen.

"Oh, everything's just fine over here. Have you got anything exciting planned for today?"

"Everyone's coming over later on to celebrate. It'll be pretty quiet though I think. I didn't want a big party or anything." I stifle a yawn as I walk over to my closet to decide what to wear today.

"That sounds lovely. And how are things with Reece?" She asks knowingly.

A grin automatically takes over my face just at the thought of him. We've been together for almost two months now and I have never felt happier. "Everything with him is perfect, Mom. He's amazing."

"So he's treating you right?"

"Of course. He couldn't treat me better if he tried."

And it's true. The past almost two months with Reece as my boyfriend have been nothing but bliss. He's everything I could have ever wanted. I love him.

"Good. Well, I better let you go then. Have an amazing birthday, sweetheart."

"I will, thanks, Mom. Bye." I hang up the call and set my phone down on my dresser. Deciding that I'll have breakfast before I get ready, I start heading downstairs dressed in some sleep shorts and one of Reece's shirts. He doesn't know I have this one.

"Good morning, birthday girl!" My dad greets me as soon as I enter the kitchen and I see that he is already cooking breakfast. Pancakes, my favourite.

"Morning, dad." I smile, giving him a quick hug before going into the fridge to get the orange juice. Mack comes trots over to me then and I bend down to give him a pat. "Morning to you too, Mack."

"I can't believe my eldest is eighteen," Dad shakes his head, "I must be getting old."

"That's nothing new, Dad." I reply with a cheeky grin, taking a sip of the drink I just poured for myself.

He only shakes his head at me, "You have two much sass for nine o'clock in the morning."

The sound of the front door opening and closing alerts me that someone is here, and I immediately know who it is. I quickly put my glass down on the counter before hurrying to the front door. As soon as I see him stopped by the door as he slips off his shoes, I launch myself at him. He expects it, catching me easily and holding me against him. I wrap my legs around his waist and his hands grip my thighs as he looks up at me.

"Hi," I greet him with a smile.

Reece grins, "Hey, Sunshine," He leans up, murmuring, "kiss?" and I quickly swoop down to kiss him greedily. He feels like home. He breaks away after a few seconds and gives me an adorable lop-sided smile. "Happy birthday, baby."

My heart flutters. He's started calling me that sometimes as well. I love it. But Sunshine is still my favourite. "Thank you. It's finally legal for you to date me now."

He smiles, "It's only the sex that's illegal, Sunshine."

A bright blush takes over my face as I whisper, "Whoops. We probably should have waited a couple weeks for it to be legal, huh?"